Thursday, November 30, 2023

Dodger day

After a couple of very chilly days today felt wonderfully warm. The sun was shining and the wind was down, it was great weather for hiking or anything else. I got out for a walk and took Dodger alone. I have usually walked him with Bailey, but she had been out in the pasture hunting with Elvis all morning so I figured she needed a rest. Also, I wanted some one-on-one time with Dodger. He's better with me than he was, but we have a ways to go before I'd call it a trusting relationship.

Dodger needs a home. He'd love to have a canine friend and I suspect he'd be all right with a cat as well. He's certain to be better with women than with men, but both will need to give Dodger plenty of time and space to come around. 

He walked beautifully on a short slip lead today. I kept him on a short leash to keep him close to me so he'd see that I wasn't a monster. I had been using a gentle leader on him when walking the Bailey but he really didn't need it. He stayed right next to me or a half step behind. He's still very shy about being touched or handled and he doesn't have a happy look on his face when he's with me, but I think he did enjoy the walk. 

He loves to play with Bailey and he comes upstairs to the office with everyone during the day. He's really good about going into his crate and he's finally getting used to the routine of going out, and coming back in and then going to the a/c yard to eat. He doesn't exactly come when called, but he's never far away, is disinclined to wander, and he comes back in the house with everyone else, or even on his own.








Dodger playing with Bailey and Candace




Catching some rays on a warm day. 
Left to right: Bailey, Elvis, Dodger, and Candace





No comments: