Friday, May 31, 2024

Working for the dogs

It's not exciting, dramatic, or even particularly scenic. I've been doing the same two mile walk through Pleasant Grove on the roadway because I'm a major tick magnet and can't venture into the woods without spraying myself down thoroughly with insect repellant. 

The dogs don't seem to mind taking the same walk all the time, it's an adventure for them just being out and there's always the possibility of seeing something or someone new and interesting. It's an outing, away from home and their usual routine. And there's always squirrels, bunnies, and sometimes deer. No one ever declines a walk due to lack of interest. I don't get bored either because I listen to music while I walk, and it's nice to just be out with the possibility of seeing something new and interesting, away from home and my usual routine. 

Wednesday evening as a solo walk with Bailey. This is supposed to be a training walk. I used her halter and a short leash so she can't pull me so much. We practice her "up" (which really needs no practice), and a couple of other commands, but mostly this is about bonding with my baby girl. 





Thursday evening it was Bailey and Ford. I had them both wearing matching rope harnesses, which I like, but it does invite pulling. Bailey was really the one who did most of the pulling. Ford wouldn't have except he wanted to get close to her. By himself he's actually pretty good and easy on a leash.




Bailey has spotted a rabbit here.



This is another bunny spotting. Ford has no idea what's going on.

Friday morning I was up by 6:00 a.m. and had everyone fed and put into daytime positions by 6:30. The day started out very cool so it was the perfect time to take Della on a walk, this time with Elvis. They are a good walking pair.

Our biggest and smallest together make a cute couple.


This pair walks well together but they also like to stop and sniff together.

I need to get back to doing early morning walks with Della
 because it's too hot in the afternoon and evenings.

I had to work during the day on Friday in spite of the nice weather, but late afternoon I went out for another walk, this time with Norman. I used the halter on him again for ease of control, but also kept a short slip lead around his neck for my sense of security. He was really quite good although when he spotted a squirrel he sort of bolted and I stumbled a bit before regaining my control and composure. Norman loved the walk and he's really loving late evening, after dark, pasture time. 


Norman also does a nice "up" when you ask for it.



He's a big dog and he's half Saint Bernard, so we stopped in the shade when we could.

Friday evening I got out for a third walk, this time with Bailey and Mercy. It was my third two mile walk of the day so I wasn't up for a lot of pulling. I had Bailey on her halter to minimize that but just used a rope harness on Mercy because she's not a puller at all. There were two rabbit spottings so Bailey was happy.






I sometimes feel like I'm just working for the dogs around here, getting them fed, exercised, and entertained. The pay sucks but it's still a great job. 


No comments: