Friday, April 22, 2011

Ebb and flow

Koa and Ranger arrived on Wednesday.  They are doing fine.  The two of them plus Buddy make a very playful trio in the large kennel.  They are still more vocal at night than I would like, but it's better and should continue to improve.  I haven't introduced them to anyone except Buddy so far, but I think I can. 

Ry got into a bag of dog food last night and made a pig of himself.  His belly is bloated but he seems to be ok.  I put him in the kennel next to the three amigos and he may join them tomorrow just for the exercise if nothing else. 

My mother and I drove up to Gainesville this morning to meet someone who is going to foster Aragon, the black shepherd shown here.  He had a double FHO surgery over in Waynesboro last fall.   He was with a foster over there but she dumped him at a vet's office two or three weeks ago.  I picked him up to save the rescue the boarding fees but he needs attention and therapy for his legs that I can't provide.  The surgery wasn't particularly successful and I really don't know if he will ever be adoptable except as a special needs dog.  He's friendly and happy, however, good with other dogs, and he doesn't give any obvious indication that he's in pain.  He's playful and really rather active although he doesn't move normally and probably never will. 

We stopped at a couple of garden centers on the way home from Gainesville and added to the plants we bought yesterday.  Today wasn't a great day for outdoor work anyway, but my container garden is ready to get started if the sun comes out tomorrow.  We got back home and then headed over to Richmond to pick up Schatzi.  She is a female shepherd that came into the rescue but probably shouldn't have, because she's not good with other dogs.  The person who took her in wouldn't keep her and she also ended up in a boarding kennel at the rescue's expense.  (This is a very sore point with me in case you can't tell.) 


I brought her home to get her out of the kennel and to evaluate her adoption potential.  Unfortunately, if she can't be fostered with other dogs, her adoption prospects are very slim.  Even people who only want one dog don't want one who is aggressive towards other dogs.  It means they can't walk in a neighborhood, they can't go to a dog park, their friends' and relatives' dogs can't visit and they can't visit other people who have dogs.  It is not simply a matter of finding someone who doesn't have another dog.  It's a matter of finding someone who never sees or encounters another dog.  Now, I don't yet know what she's like or how bad her behavior is.  It may be typical female German Shepherd Dog bitchiness.  But if the dog is unadoptable, this story will not have a happy ending. 

I'll wait a couple days and then try introducing her to another dog.  She is in a kennel next to Sparky, and he may be the one we try to get her to meet.  If she starts trouble with him, he will finish it.  They may just hit it off, in which case Sparky will have a girlfriend.  We also made a stop at Strange's nursery for more plants.  I hope we see some sunshine tomorrow.  Big Boy is scheduled to go to his new home on Sunday, which will make the rhythm of the week as 2 in, 1 out, 1 in, 1 out.  Not too bad, all things considered. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a whirl wind kind of couple of days for you. Hopefully, you will get some quiet time during the night--no barking dogs. Hope has decided to be bored in the crate around 4:45 AM and begins a barking session every night since about a week. I am beginning to feel pretty tired, but am not going to give in. The one with more will power will prevail, and it just has to be me, no question. What a sad story for the black GSD. Hopefully someone with a big heart will come along. As to dog aggression, I hope it turns out that Schatzi is only aggressive when being walked, not all dogs get along with every dog. Being unfriendly when being walked is not that uncommon. I wish people would stop thinking of dogs as big stuffed animals.

Lindsay said...

I live in a "city" where nearly everyone has a dog. Luckily, there are quite a few of us (me included) who have a dog who isn't always friendly to other dogs. My dog mostly dislikes females, but has some leash aggression in general so I don't let her great dogs when on walks. I just cross the street when another dog is coming our way. I know the other dogs in the neighborhood who are the same way, and the owners and I just give knowing smiles at each other from across the street. Hopefully an owner like that is an option and hopefully she'll at least like males. Good luck!