Saturday, April 16, 2011

For Tasha and Mary


One by One, they pass by my cage,
They say, "Too worn, too broken, too old of age.
Way past his time, he can't run and play."
Then they shake their heads and go on their way.

A little old man, arthritic and sore,
It seems I am not wanted anymore.
I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm, and where I was fed.

Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail.
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn't belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.
Whatever excuse they made in their head,
Can't justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.

When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
You saw my face, and I finally had hope.
You saw through the grey, and the legs bent with age,
And felt I still had life beyond this cage.

You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly, you want me to know.

I may have lived most of my life with another,
But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
And I promise to return all the love I can give,
To you, my dear person, as long as I live.

I may be with you for a week, or for years
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.

Leslie Whalen


Sorry to post a tearjerker on an already dreary day, but I ran across this poem online the other day and wanted to post it to say thank you to Mary for taking in Tasha and giving her a loving home to the end.  Tasha had been well cared for but then dumped by her owner when he moved to California.  She had cancer and didn't last too long, but she had a real home and real love up to the end.  Taking in a senior, especially with a known medical problem, is setting yourself up for heartbreak, but there is something incredibly rewarding about it as well. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent, what a beautiful poem. Tks for sharing it. I can't understand why someone would dump their companion after sharing a life for many years. Thank goodness their are people who have a big heart and take a senior pet in.
BTW I love the rain, but may be not the muddy paw prints everywhere.

Anonymous said...

I have just taken in a senior too. His name is Hoss, and he's 10 years old. He is the sweetest, most easy-going dog ever....reminds us of our first GSD, the late and much lamented Mr. Byte.
Old dog love is the best.

BudsBuddy said...

Double Karma Points to Anonymous and Hoss :) I will one day have a rescue for senior dogs that just need a soft bed and loving arms til the end of their days. I am still getting my husband on board with this idea, but I will get my way eventually. I always do;)

Jennifer Q said...

Aww, that is such a beautiful poem! It too should be posted on our site with the lovely senior dogs!

Jennnifer Q said...

BudsBuddy,

I think that is a FABULOUS idea! I hope you get your way soon! ;-p That truly is a wonderful idea! You would be taking all different breeds? I LOVE the idea!!!