Monday, April 4, 2011

(More than) a little help from my friends

Rescue work really is a group effort.  I know a few folks who go it alone and I admire them, but I don't know how they do it.  Being part of a group is not without its problems and drawbacks.  People don't always do what they promise to do.  People don't always live up to your expectations.  People sometimes get sidetracked on issues other than the welfare of the dogs.  But people are essential to this kind of operation.  People who host adoption events, maintain records, and work fundraising events.  People who transport, casework, and process applications.  People who foster, and people who help at adoption events.  People who take pictures and work on the websites.  People who adopt dogs and encourage others to do the same.  People who take in the old and sick dogs to give them the best possible life up to the end. And people who support the effort financially and emotionally. 
I'm lucky to be part of several groups and have their support and backing.  I'm also lucky to have the support of many individuals, apart from our shared membership in one or more groups.

On the drive home on Sunday, I realized that my van was packed full of help that I had received from friends.  The front passengers seat was stacked full of good quality dry dog food.  Stuffed in there somewhere was more canned food that I need for giving pills and wormer.  I had another bag of donated collars, leashes, and miscellaneous medications.  I had four dogs who had been professionally photographed and had spent several hours with competent handlers who were friendly to the public.  I had folders full of blank forms that I would be needing,  hopefully soon, for adoptions.  I had records of vet care that had been paid for by donations.  I had a new bottle of panacure that will treat and cure the intestinal problems Big Boy, Irene, and Hope are having still.  I had a gallon can of solid pack pumpkin to form up loose stools. And I made the trip, and another today to pick up another dog, on fuel donated by friends.  And I had a bottle of the liquid magic known as Grey Goose vodka. 

And to top it all off, in today's mail, a thank you card.  I should send those myself to thank you all for your help and support in all its forms, including listening to and forgiving my rants, and sometimes even enjoying them with me.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Thanks Dogness for you and all your helpers!

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

I know we don't say it enough.
To everyone who helps homeless animals,
"Thank you. You are appreciated more than you will ever know."