Monday, April 4, 2011

Dog swap


Jeremy
Sunday's adoption event wasn't about dog adoption, although I hope that some adoptions will eventually result from the 2.5 hour trip to Sterling and the 3+ hours we spent there Sunday afternoon.  Mostly it was about exchanging fosters.

I took Ladybug to her new foster home.  She got a lot of looks from the crowd at the adoption event and I'm sure will have plenty of interested potential adopters once she hits the web, if she even does. 

Maggie Mae



Molly

I took back Irene and Big Boy, both of whom have bloody stool again, so they are getting wormer, metronidazole, pumpkin, and a little canned food, but nothing else for the next several days. Irene committed the sin of not bonding fast enough with her adopter, after latching on like superglue to the foster home she had up there.  That adopter is now hot to get Harley, but I don't think that is going to happen, for Harley's sake.  A demonstrated lack of committment is not the way to get a dog.

 The good news is that Big Boy seemed much more normal, interacting with both people and other dogs.  He was particularly happy to see Maggie Mae again.  Maggie Mae was happy to see everyone and really worked the crowd well.  I was pleased that Molly did so well too.  This dog had never been in an urban area, a shopping mall, a busy store, and a crowd of people and dogs, but she handled it all very well.  Perhaps my biggest suprise, however, was that Irene seemed happy to see me again.  She is an "any port in a storm" sort of dog, and I was big enough to hide behind.


Irene

I swapped Maggie Mae for Big Boy and I heard last night that she had settled in on the sofa in her new foster home.  The foster home that had fostered Irene before her failed adoption took  Molly to foster and I brought Irene back here. 

So I took up Maggie Mae, Jeremy, Molly, and Ladybug, and returned with just Big Boy, Irene and Jeremy.  Not bad, although I got two dogs with bloody, stinky poop out of the deal.  The previously adopted Hope (Lilly) has been dealing with the same thing, but it sounds like the wormer, metronidazole, and FortiFlora have been working for her. 

Maggie Mae

I've been exchanging emails and phone messages with someone who is interested in Jeremy, but we haven't spoken yet.  VGSR's best photograher got some great new pics of everyone yesterday, which will be good for the website.

I was planning a trip down to Natural Bridge to meet my doggie dealer and pick up the new Dane and a Pyr mix today, but that got canceled.  Apparently the Dane's family decided not to give him up, at least for now, and the Pyr got reclaimed by an owner from the shelter.  That's ok because I need to work, do yard work, etc., and there's a VGSR shepherd over in Waynesboro who's been abandoned at a vet's office that I need to go pick up today. 

2 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Those are beautiful pictures.

Sorry about the digestive trouble with the dogs.

Lindsay said...

Really?!? She returned Irene? Seriously?! I think my post would have been much angrier than yours. How do you pick the shiest, most scared dog, and then be unhappy when she's aloof? I know not all matches are good matches. But I feel like some people want the dogs like Irene so that THEY feel good about themselves, so they feel like a hero. and if that doesn't happen fast enough, then they're disappointed... sigh...