Thursday, April 28, 2011

Back in action


Ranger
My mother went back home on Tuesday and I'm glad she got out before all the storms that we had yesterday and today.  Things are getting back to next to normal around here. 
Koa and Ranger got neutered yesterday at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA.  They also had rabies vaccines done there, but I neglected to have the heartworm test done.  They just test for HW there anyway, so I need to haul them to Old Dominion for the 3-way heartworm, lyme, erlichia test.  I submitted a write up for Ranger for the website last night and I wouldn't be surprised to start getting some inquiries about him soon.



The Great Baron
 In the category of "excellent news", the folks who adopted Big Boy, now called Baron, posted a comment on the blog below.  He and their other dog, Metro, have begun to play together and I always take that as the best sign that a new dog is settling in.  Their other dog, Metro, has an interesting story.  She was found on the streets of Moscow as a stray, in or near that city's subway system.  The fact that they adopted a Russian stray, and moved with her, and still have her, was what convinced me that those folks had the necessary committment.

Dugan
I'm driving over to Midlothian later this afternoon to meet a prospective adopter who is interested in Dugan.  He has put on some weight now and really looks good.  I need to get some new pictures of him, this is an old one.  Dugan has really fallen into the household routine in terms of coming in, going upstairs, going into his crate, and coming down to go outside in the morning.  He has slipped away from me a couple times going in and out of the kennel because I wasn't careful with the gate.  He likes to run and his is lightning fast.  He was out of sight before I could even go looking for him, but he came back on his own in just a few minutes; he just wanted to explore a bit.  He continues my positive impression of boxers.


Bear and Ana
Remember Bear?  (formerly Romeo).    He was the youngest and probably the least psychologically scarred of the Fluvanna shepherds that I took in.  He has settled in to a great life in the country with Ana.  They are "helping" put in grapevines for the vineyard they will be in charge of patrolling and protecting one day. 


Biscuit

Biscuit and his family are moving from Charlottesville, but I have no doubt that he will always have a good home with them.  In fact, they chose their new home with him in mind, because it has a large fenced backyard.  They continue to be amazed at how gentle he is with their kids. 


Ryland

One day last week Ryland got into a bag of dog food that I had set into the shed to be out of the rain.  He gorged himself, of course, and if he wasn't more hound than anything else I would have been more worried about bloat.  His belly was packed full.  There were two other dogs in the shed at the time, but I think Ry kept them away from the food and had it all himself.  I didn't feed him for the next day or two and he was fine, fat and happy while it lasted anyway.  I've been bringing him indoors at night now too, and discovered that he's still intact.  Schatzi is still favoring one front leg too, and needs to be spayed as well.  So I need a few more vet appointments. 

And then there is this one, a 2.5 year old female Dane named Luca.  Her family moved someplace that she wasn't welcome, I guess, so she is looking for a new home.  Gorgeous dog, let me know if you know anyone who might be interested.





No comments: