Friday, April 15, 2011

Hummer in the house

I never get my hummingbird feeders out soon enough.  I think they are supposed to go out about mid-March to catch the eye of the early scouts.  Mine don't. 

I bought two new ones this year, however, and some food, and I've been thinking about it but hadn't done it yet. 

This afternoon, while sitting at my desk working at the computer, I heard a loud buzzing.  I looked up at the ceiling and was surprised to see a frustrated and unhappy hummingbird trying to get out. 

I suspect he came in through a gap around the window unit air conditioner in here, but I knew he wouldn't make his way back out that way.  I propped the window as far open as it could go, but the bird was fixated on the ceiling so I didn't think he'd get out still. 

I needed a net, but didn't have one.  I finally took a mesh wastebasket and easily trapped the small bird in that against the ceiling.  A piece of cardboard slid over the top (sometimes it's handy to have a lot of crap laying around), and I walked him to the open window.  I managed to get a picture before tilting the basket so he flew out.

Then I went right downstairs and filled 4 hummingbird feeders and hung them off the front porch. I need to get my ass in gear for spring.

p.s., No news yet on Irene.  Some nice folks came today and met Big Boy.  They are thinking it over.  He showed that he wanted to be friends, but wasn't quite confident enough to do so on his own.   He will be a bit of a project, but well worth it, I think, in the end.  We will see.  Rainy, nasty weekend ahead, not expecting anything to happen, but I do hope to move Aragon to a new foster tomorrow.  I guess I haven't mentioned him yet.  More on him later.

2 comments:

vayankeegrl said...

Be sure to change the food every once in a while, otherwise it'll ferment and you'll get drunk hummingbirds. True story - it happened to my aunt!

Jenn said...

Sounds like it was a drunk hummingbird that came in the house! Great story, I'd like to see one that close.