Sunday, April 24, 2011

My kind of dog


We stopped by the Fluvanna SPCA yesterday afternoon.  They were having a send off event for the shepherds, now released from custody and all freshly speutered.  I couldn't work at a shelter because I don't think I could part with that many dogs at once, and worry about where they are going, how they will do, and whether any of them will come back.  The Fluvanna SPCA did a great job with all those dogs and all of their problems, not to mention dealing with all their others when they had an influx of 22 new dogs.  I pulled a total of 10 dogs from there, the 6 surrendered shepherds and 4 non-shepherds, and a lot of other people took in others from there as well to help with the crowding. 

There is one shepherd who didn't have a firm adopter the last I heard, so she may still end up here, but this week's three new shepherds are enough for now.  The boys were quiet last night but the new bitch, Schatzi, still managed to wake me from a deep sleep at 2:00 a.m., requiring me to go to visit her with my bottle of pharmaceutical magic.  I think she was just barking at the boys, who were playing in the middle of the night.  Today I will introduce them so she can join in the play without waking me.

Anyway, our visit to the shelter was mostly about meeting this guy, Derf.  He is my kind of dog.  He's a rottie mix, but it would be tough to say what else is in the mix.  Definitely part rottie, he is big and powerful.  Probably part hound from the look of the tail, but who knows.  He is red and black, really beautiful, with a big square head.  He's been at the shelter for a while and will probably be my next foster, but I would like to get someone moved out of here before taking in another. 

4 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Yes, a gorgeous boy! Maybe rottie/bloodhound? That would be a nice mix: a little more energetic than a rottie, a little less obsessive than a hound. He definitely needs a new name though! Derf -- what were they thinking?? He looks like a Dexter to me :)

Living the life in The Little City said...

Great dog. Very handsome. He reminds me of my old dog, who was a rottie mix.

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Brent, The story and video RE: the German Shepherds and the Fluvanna SPCA are at this link. Apparently, there are some German Shepherd puppies that were born to one of the female German Shepherds. I'm happy they did a follow-up news report. http://www.nbc29.com/story/14503140/happy-ending-for-rescued-german-shepherds

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful (even tho he isn't a dachshund!) I love that head and his coloring. Rebecca