Sunday, April 24, 2011

The power of touch


Big Boy went home today.  He got a new name as well as a new home.  They were about settled on "Baron", I think, which I loved because of my former foster Baron.  Whatever they call him doesn't really matter; anything will be an improvement over "Big Boy."  A new name might help him leave the past behind and develop a new identity, perhaps to be the happy, confident, and secure dog he should be.  These folks know that they have a project on their hands and I admire them for taking it on. 

What I've noticed about Big Boy is the importance of touch.  Rotties are very tactile dogs; they seek out contact and love to press the flesh.  Shepherds aren't always that way, but most will at least "check in" periodically, coming up to touch their nose to a hand, crotch, or face, both to check on their person and to make their presence known. 

The new big sister, Metro.
She's the one who will bring him around.

One of the first things we noticed first about Big Boy was that when he was nervous he would turn his head around and touch his own penis.  I've come to think that that's just a guy thing, the canine equivalent of checking the package, sort of a nervous response. 

Big Boy showed us that he is curious and he wants to make contact, but he's the king of the surreptitious touch, shown here approaching his new mom and dad, but from behind, on his own terms, wanting to check on them but not yet ready to be touched in return. 

I recommended a lot of leash walking as a great way to earn the dog's trust, but also to give him his space until he's ready to make contact and allow them to reciprocate. 

I've written about some human/canine bonds that seem perfectly balanced, mutually beneficial.  At this point, I think this relationship is a bit lopsided.  He needs them more than they need him.  However, I think and hope that, in time, he will return the love and care he receives many times over.  Things will balance out in the long run. 

He's a great looking dog.  I look forward to seeing a smile on his face.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great news, a home for Big Boy. I seem to remember that he was the bravest of the gang. Funny, that you right about the touch thing. Hope does the same for us. She will come up from behind and sniff at us, or give us a quick poke with her nose. A few times she added a little lick to this game. She will forever zoom through the house and yard, just looking in on everyone. I think it is the dearest behavior for such a fearful dog. Walks work wonders for us, I can only recommend to do this daily with a new dog. This is the only time Hope will come up to us, let us pet her and put the leash on. It is a big step into the right direction. I hope this is encouragement to anyone who adopted one of the dogs.

Jennifer Q said...

God, he is so gorgeous! I just love that last picture of him. I am extemely happy "Big Boy" found a home!! :) I love him so much! Thank you for caring for him and placing him into a wonderful home!

Sue said...

He's got very sad, tired eyes. Hopefully that will change. As a massage therapist, I do indeed know the power of touch. Not just for humans, but all living creatures.

Anonymous said...

Brent,
Baron is a wonderful addition to our family. We took your advice and have taken him on walks in the neighborhood with Metro and he tags right along side her. It brings a tear to my eye remembering how Rudi walked and Metro "tagged along". He is doing pretty well with the 3 steps off of the deck into the yard and isn't as afraid of the staircase leading upstairs. This morning he and Metro played with each other in the yard :) One sound he doesn't like is the tapping on this keyboard. At the moment I am typing with one hand while petting him with the other. We have a vet apt.on May 10th. Thank you again for taking Baron in when he had no home. He really is a beautiful dog. Sincerely, M&B's parents.