Sunday, May 1, 2011

More and more shepherds


Let's see, where did I leave off? 

Ranger and Koa got neutered and seemed to recover well.  I kept them isolated for a few days to help them heal and to keep them clean and dry.  Surprisingly, I've only had one inquiry about Ranger, but actually I'm going to contact someone I know locally who might be perfect for him or for Koa.  My goal for Koa, shown here, is to get him posted on the web.  I got some new pics yesterday that are pretty good, now I just need to do a write up.  That's my plan for this morning while waiting for the grass to dry so I can mow (such an exciting life). 


Thursday afternoon I drove over to Midlothian to meet some folks who were interested in Dugan.  I came back home with Dugan but with the plan that they would adopt him mid-May after their daughter's graduation from Va Tech.  Dugan is an easy foster and I'm quite fond of him, and it seemed like a great home so I didn't mind holding him for another 2-3 weeks, although it's always nice to move them sooner rather than later to make room for incoming dogs.  It was a pleasant surprise then to get a phone call Saturday morning saying that they were excited about getting him and didn't want to wait.  The upshot of it all was that they came over late Saturday afternoon and took him home.  He was happy to go with them, jumped right in the car and hopefully settled down for the drive to his new home. 

I'm going to have a boxer some day.


Last week I took in two male shepherds, Koa and Ranger, both from Orange County.  Yesterday it was two females, Ginger and Star, both from the Valley, but from two different shelters.  Star is a beauty.  She's probably not more than two years old, 55 lbs maybe, classic black and tan color and markings.  She had apparently been living outside on a chain, but I think she must have been indoors part of the time.  She climbed out of a 4' fence yesterday afternoon but came right to the back door.  Star is a little shy initially, but warms up very quickly with just the least bit of kindness shown to her.  She is certainly fine with other dogs and loving with people.  I'm going to cat-test her because there's a certain foster home (who reads this blog) that I think she'd be great for when they find themselves fosterless again.  (Hint, hint.) 


The other new girl is Ginger.  She is a big puppy, literally.  She is no more than a year old, probably less.  She is a long hair, and she may be a Shiloh shepherd.  She's big already, and look at those thick forelegs, and that bushy tail.  She's very playful, very puppy-like and I really suspect that she isn't full grown yet.  It will be interesting to see what she grows into. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brent,

This is Rachel. I sent you an email a few minutes ago about Star. She's just what Scott and I are looking for!!!