Friday, May 13, 2011

Fortunate Friday

Friday the 13th was a lucky day for two foster dogs from my household.  Star and I went to her new home early this evening.  She was fine with the two small dogs; she had met them before.  The cat was new, but she ignored it, and apparently this cat has trained several dogs already.  They have a crate for the dog and one for the cat, so they are well prepared to work it out. 

Star is a beauty, and she has a new name, Maya, which is the new name of another one of my former fosters as well. 

After dropping off Star, I headed north to Culpeper to meet someone who wanted to adopt Koa.  Many people wanted to adopt Koa, actually, and Star too for that matter. 

 
It was dark and misting heavily when we met, never ideal conditions for transferring a dog and doing the paperwork that goes along with it.  Consequently, my parting pictures of Koa aren't great, but Pam had produced stunning portaits of Koa at the last adoption event anyway. 

As I look at them now, however, I realize that these pics are actually very good in terms of what they show.  In the first pic I was walking the dog away from the cars to give him a chance to pee while the contract was being completed.  I only managed to get a picture of the back of his head because he was intently interested in the new people.  That's a good thing. 

In the second pic, I cut off the dog's nose, but what it shows is the dog looking directly and intently at his new owner.  That's a very good thing, especially for a shepherd because they want and need direction and it's nice when they look to a human for that direction rather than heading off on their own.  It's a very good sign for their new relationship.

2 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

It was a very good Friday the 13th for you and Star and Koa. I love your pictures. You did of whole lot of traveling. You always amaze me, Brent. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Maya (Star) is settling in nicely. I have taken her everywhere with me this weekend, until our grocery run today. She finally discovered the cat last night- the first bark we've heard. She's being a very good girl. Thanks again for bringing her home.

Rachel