Monday, May 9, 2011

Quite a weekend


Ranger meeting Starr (a former foster) on Saturday
 Sunday was VGSR's adoption event in Gainesville.  I had trouble getting up that morning and really didn't feel like going, but I'm glad I did.  It had rained a little overnight at home but the forecast was good for northern Virginia.  I loaded up Jeremy, Ryland, Buddy, and Koa, and off we went. 

But I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.  I didn't take Star because she hadn't been feeling well and she has a local prospective home anyway.  Star really turned it around beginning on Friday.  She started eating again, no more blood, and seemed to be back to normal.  I think she just has a post-spay problem.  I should have kept her quiet like they always tell me to.  I generally listen to the dog instead of the vet and she seemed to think she was feeling good.  Lesson learned, from now on, I'll stick to the crate confinement routine and minimal outdoor activity for at least a week.  So Star is fine and didn't need to go on Sunday, so she stayed home. 

Ranger, looking good, acting fine, but still not eating

I didn't take Ranger because I think I found him a home on Saturday.  The woman who adopted Starr (not to be confused with my current foster Star) from me a couple years ago had been trying to adopt a male shepherd after her old guy died.  She tried Trooper, but that didn't work because her neighbor was scared of him.  She tried Buddy, and I thought that was going to be ok, but he started acting up when visitors, the neighbor again, came over.  I wrote her about Ranger and she called Saturday morning when she finally read her email.  She came over Saturday morning and met him.  I went back with him over to her place with Ranger to meet Starr.  The dogs were fine.  He came back home with me with plans to take him to the vet Monday morning for the heartworm test and to figure out why he wasn't eating. 

Koa, soaking up the love

So on Sunday I took Buddy although I hadn't been actively trying to place him because of the fear aggression that he had shown towards strangers.  I took Jeremy, although he's got a prospect next weekend.  I took Ryland along just because I had space and he hadn't yet been to an adoption event.  I figured Koa was my most adoptable dog.  Pam got some beautiful new pictures of Koa (below).  He's just gorgeous.  He was also good at the event.  I put a prong collar on him and he was very manageable that way.  He was good with dogs and very good with people.  A man I had been emailing with came to meet him and wants to adopt him.  Our plan is to meet on Friday.

Buddy charmed his way into a new home

Buddy is always good at adoption events and he's a great looking young dog so someone always wants him.  And sure enough, a nice couple wanted him and I couldn't dissaude them, although I tried.  Their last dog had been rather antisocial too, and the woman particularly seemed to want to help him.  At least they are going in with eyes wide open, knowing what to expect.  From what I saw of them, I think they can handle it.  Again, our plan is to meet next weekend. 


Jeremy is all smiles


Jeremy met a woman who was interested in him, took his picture to show her husband, and took my card.  Much to my surprise, I had a phone call from them later that day.  He already has a potential adopter we are scheduled to meet next weekend, but a backup is always good.  Ryland didn't convince anyone that he was a German Shepherd, but he was very cute.  He marked most of Gainesville.



These pics of Koa are just too good not to post and share, even though I think he's found a home.  He's an awesome dog.


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is great to read that you had such a successful weekend. All the dogs you took to the event look great. I feel bad for Ryland, I don't understand why people don't like hound dogs. My best dog was a large hound-husky mix, they are stubborn but oh so personal.

BudsBuddy said...

Thanks for sharing great news and great photos!

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Good news, super pictures. Once again, thank you, Brent, for all that you do.