Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reshuffle


Bo, in his new digs, with all day shade and fan.

Today's forecast prompted a reshuffle of the fosters.  Bo the rottie's kennel doesn't have enough shade for a hot day.  I moved him over to a kennel under a canopy formerly occupied by Odie the shepherd.  There is also a fan hanging from the frame of that kennel that provides a breeze.

Odie moved into what we call the Drew kennel (named for a former foster doberman.  The Drew kennel is actually one third of the big kennel complex occupied by the shepherd brothers, Koa and Ranger, as well as the boxer, Zoe. 

Zoe, enjoying a romp in the dog yard



I moved Zoe into the dog yard with Luke, Ryland, and Schatze, in addition to our Zachary and Trooper, making six dogs in there during the day--they all come in the house at night.  After the shepherd brothers and Odie get acquainted, I'll open the gate separating them and let those three boys all together. They will either have a great time or a huge fight, stay tuned for that.


Luke is happy with a ball, rock, or anything in his mouth.

You may have noticed a new name in the prior paragraph, Luke.  He's not really new.  He's the senior shepherd who was returned along with the rottie Tasha, by an owner/adopter after many years because he moved to California and couldn't be bothered with his dogs anymore.  Luke had gone to another foster home, which probably would have been a long term arrangement, except that she lost her job and is in the midst of a job search and move.  She has a dog of her own who is staying a friend right now, but asking a friend to babysit your foster dog is a bit much.  That, I can understand.  Luke is an easy keeper.  He's happy with a ball or a rock in his mouth, is good with other dogs, and crates without a problem.  Finding an adopter for a senior dog is tough, however. 


Trooper always has a nice smile, if he likes you

I also put new tags and collars on Odie and Bo, both of whom have now been pretty thoroughly de-wormed as well.  Odie has had three days of panacure and probably five for Bo. 

I need to take Ryland to CASPCA this afternoon to meet cats and I'm planning to park my butt at Starbucks with an iced coffee and sit until I get all my paperwork in order.  I have three adoption contracts that need to be mailed in and I need to make folders for the new guys.  I seem to be missing one completed contract, hopefully I just put it in the wrong folder.  I also need to do a headcount and copy all the rabies certificates for boarding purposes.  I have reservations made at two kennels and temporary foster homes lined up for two dogs, so I need to sit down and figure out who is going where and who to leave at home with the housesitter. 

It's after 10:00 a.m., I'd better get to work. 
Zachary and Ryland, chillaxin' in the shade.

No comments: