Monday, May 30, 2011

Mail bag


Molly, the sentinel, and Trooper, early one morning
It is so strange waking up on rottweiler time without a rottweiler standing in bed, wagging her whole body, letting us know that the sun is almost up and that it's time to go outside to run in the pasture.  Molly is the alarm clock around here, typically, and she's gets Zachary up and pacing, and Trooper comes over to my side of the bed to put his nose in my face.  I woke up thinking, this is what it's like to live without dogs.  I know people do it, I just don't know how, or why. 
Most of the dogs headed out to boarding facilities yesterday and we leave today, leaving a housesitter and two very capable rottweilers in charge around here.  It's always hard to leave the dogs, but our dogs know the routine; they know that we'll be back, and I suspect that they tell the others.















Zoe went to a temporary foster home.  She and Bernie (formerly my Rowdy) were instant friends and will be having a good time.  Murphy and Sable are ok with it. 

Left to right, Bernie, Zoe, and Murphy























I had an email from Tippy's adopter yesterday.  Tippy is a smallish, young, female shepherd they adopted from me some time ago.  They have since moved to New York where they have a beautiful fenced yard for their two shepherds.  They have also gotten involved in rescue work. 

This was their email, their latest picture of Tippy, and below that, my response.

Tippy went on vacation with us driving from NY to Iowa, Arkansas, and back to NY. She is a great traveler, no barking in motels or rest areas. We did some camping and Tip fell in love with the top bunk. I am on my fifth GSD rescue. One came in so sick we had to put her down. She had no white, red, blood cells and no platelets. She was bleeding internally. That was really tough for me. Here is the link to the rainbow bridge site. http://www.peppertree.org/rainbow.php.  Her official name was Biddy but we called her Ebony.
Tippy was a super traveler and got along with all the dogs at the homes we visited. Mo stayed in a doggie motel. He barks too much to take him.





I love the picture of Tippy on the top bunk.

I'm sorry to hear the news about Ebony. Thank goodness for the 10 weeks or so she had with you at the end of her life. At least she knew love and kindness at the end. I've had a couple fosters that also never made it out of foster care, but I always consider them mine.
I am so happy that you've gotten into rescue work yourself. It has its ups and downs as you know, but we also know how rewarding it is when you place a dog in a good home. An even bigger reward comes when the adopters, like you, become rescuers themselves.
 

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Thanks for all the updates in the two recent posts. I'm especially happy for Maggie Mae, as I recall she was an older dog and I'm happy a family opened their hearts to her. IMHO, older dogs are awesome!