Monday, May 23, 2011

No good sense

I'm leaving town in another week so it really doesn't make good sense for me to be taking in another dog right now.  But I had previously committed to taking this one, a bi-color named Odie, and he comes from my doggie dealer down in SW Virginia.  She doesn't have a computer, doesn't read this blog, so I can safely say that she is probably the only person in the dog world I can't say "no" to.  That's mostly because she has never asked me to take a dog that I can't place.  She knows a good dog when she sees one and she knows what I like. 

 
She took in this dog because he needed to be taken; the owners just couldn't care for him anymore.  Fortunately, they don't seem to have scarred him psychologically.  He was very thin but has been wormed and has been putting on some weight.  He seems fine in terms of temperament and Linda described him as a "gentleman."  The owners said he was 2.5 years old, but he looks more along the lines of 3 or 4 to me.  I need to get him to a vet this week for vaccines and heartworm test because I'll have to board him next week, so I'll get another opinion on his age. 

He is intact, of course, and I don't think I'll try to get taken care of before we go.  The trip to pick him up was 5 hours out of my day that I didn't really need to lose, but that's the way it goes.  Clay is outside mowing this evening anyway so I can finish work. 

Although I may not have shown good sense in taking in this dog at this time,  at least I did turn down two others today.  I hate to do it, but we can't take them all. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky dog. He is flat out gorgeous.

Risa said...

If I didn't have Max and Hoss, I'd take Odie off your hands right away. He looks just like our late lamented Cheerio. Have a safe trip.