Sunday, May 15, 2011

GPD (gallons per dog)


Buddy on his way to a new home

I zeroed out the trip meter on my odometer when heading up to Culpeper with Koa Friday evening.  When I got back home from Sterling on Sunday, it was reading about 350 miles, which got me thinking about my GPD (gallons of gas expended per dog adopted).  Obviously it's more efficient if I take multiple dogs to events so I rarely travel with less than four.  I'm not sure what my GPD is, and I'm not sure I want to know.  There is generally a trip to meet and pick up the dog, and usually at least two vet visits, one for vaccines and heartworm test, and again for spay/neuter, or more if the dog has a medical problem. Then there are the adoption events, and generally a visit to the adopter's home, even if someone else has already done the home visit.


Schatze, sure she's a little bitchy, but she's not so bad.
After all, she is a female shepherd
The only way to really reduce my GPD that I can see would be to do local adoption events.  But I'd really rather just be the guy who shows up with the dogs to someone else's event.  Hosting an event means setting up a table and dealing with the general public, which would really waste my limited amount of patience and tolerance for stupidity.  If I show up at an adoption event that someone else is holding, there are usually other volunteers who will handle my fosters and I can just float about and talk to people who are interested in one of my dogs. 

Today VGSR was at a new location in Sterling.  There wasn't a lot of traffic there but it made a fine meeting spot for the adopters I had lined up for Jeremy and Buddy.  Both dogs went to great homes with adopters who were very excited to have them.  Buddy's folks are experienced with a difficult dog and he's matured a bit since being here, so I hope this will be the one that works for him.  Jeremy went to a woman who wanted an older dog and wanted a mixed breed.  A perfect fit for Jeremy.  Her other dog looks to be about the same percentage of shepherd in a female form.  The dogs got along fine and Jeremy really wanted a home so I hope he will be doing his part to make this work. 

Ryland, relaxing in the sun


Schatze was better than I expected her to be at the outing and we got some better pics of her.  Ryland was really wanting to nap and that's mostly what he did. 

I had a pleasant surprise when I got home too.  Ranger finally ate the dry food in his bowl, the first regular, dry dog food he had eaten since he got sick.  If that continues he may be able to move to his new home soon.  

Jeremy and his new sister, Roxy.
Home at last.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GPD - gosh you are right, we could measure a whole lot of things we do by the amount of fuel we blow.
Someone needs to explain to me why the gas prices go up while the crude oil is going down :((
I love the photo of Buddy, he is pretty.
How old a guy is Ryland?

BudsBuddy said...

Sounds like a good weekend for the dogs, an exhausting one for you (and your wallet).