Saturday, May 14, 2011

Finally, a rottie

It seems that there's been such a deluge of shepherds lately that I haven't had anything else.  For the number of shepherds that I've had, they've been pretty easy and well behaved, but I do generally prefer to have a little variety to avoid the group think problem that shepherds are prone too, all sharing a single brain. 

Rotties are independent thinkers--stubborn as can be, but they are generally right and they know it. 

The new guy is named Bo, although I may change that.  He came from the Fluvanna SPCA, having been found as a stray.  He's still underweight, dull coat, and he's heartworm positive, but he seems like a nice boy. 



Sparky greeted his new neighbor by pissing through the fence into the new guy's kennel.  Bo didn't take offense, he just checked out the smell and added his own to the mix.  Male bonding at its best.  Sparky took the opportunity to do a butt sniff to get acquainted. 





They told me he was scared of men, and he was a little scared of me at first, but I got a nose touch and a sniff.  Rotties are pretty easy to win over with a big dish of dry and canned food.  I would guess that "love me" and "feed me" are the same words in rottweiler language.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

He's gorgeous. Can not wait to see the progression after his heartworm treatment.

BudsBuddy said...

Yes, he will be a gorgeous boy after a few weeks of Brent's TLC.

Risa said...

Your new Rottie. Bo, looks a lot like one I fosterd about 20 years ago. His name was Cinder. He's the one I found standing on the kitchen table once, eating a nectarine out of the fruit bowl.
Good luck with Rotties and Boxers and Shepherds, oh my!

BudsBuddy said...

That's quite an image! One of my rotties loved fruits and vegetables and would happily follow me to the garden to pick her own tomatoes and strawberries. Later she would just as happily follow me to the compost pile and pick out the delicacies like potato peelings, watermelon rinds, apple cores, etc.