Friday, July 20, 2012

Breakfast of champions


Vince, smiling, but not eating
Nothing much new to report dog-wise, I agreed to take in one owner surrender but haven't heard back from the guy.  He will probably wait three weeks and then need to dump the dog urgently.  No adoption events this weekend either, which is ok, I do have other things to do. 


Everyone that I had boarded for our New York trip was very happy to be back home.  Trooper knows, likes, and remembers the woman who keeps him and she said that he was always happy to see her, tail wagging, and full of kisses.  She is one of the privileged few that Trooper allows to look at him.



Vince was probably the happiest of all to get home, but he was fine.  He's got extreme thunderstorm fear but I had sent his bottles of valium and Happy Traveler along with him and he got through it. 
Feeding time is the only time I can take Cabell's picture
without him running away.
Vince has been driving me crazy at feeding time.  He won't eat.  I pretty much insist on dogs eating the food they are given at the time and place it is given to them.  Vince would maybe grab a mouthful or two but mostly spent his time running around the yard when he should have been eating.  I thought he was being stubborn, holding out for canned food, or wanting free feeding, which isn't really an option around here.  This morning I watched him grab a mouthful of food and then let most of it drop out of his mouth.  He did that a couple times and then left the food dish entirely.  It finally dawned on me--he's an old guy, probably has some bad teeth, or missing teeth, and he may not be able to eat dry food.  I brought his food dish inside and added some water and let it sit while I was preparing Zachary's raw food.  When I gave it to him after it was softened, he ate it all.  Duh.  I'm an idiot and I've been starving that dog because I thought he was just being stubborn (Vince can be very stubborn, but so can I). 

These are some pics I snapped during morning feed today.  The camera lens was dirty and some aren't great, it's everyone that I have right now.


That's not Bremo's food dish, it's Zachary's.
After Bremo finishes his, he gathers up other dogs' dishes
and gives them a thorough cleaning.
Trooper eating on top of his sentinel platform
x
































Dixie, eating on top of the big dog house
Hank has never been the fastest eater, but he has
learned to stay on his food until it's gone.
x
































x

Zachary takes his raw chicken into the den at the left
and then comes back out to eat the dry food.
He has be shut in the shed or someplace by himself to eat.
Lana's head never comes up until the bowl is empty.









































I feed Gigi in a crate in the shed with Zachary.
She's not a fast eater and she usually leaves some.

Cabell checking for food that Gigi left in her bowl.
x




































Gypsy Jr.
Sparky
x


























Vince and Cabell always want to come back inside immediately after eating.






1 comment:

bbes tribe said...

Enjoyed the pics of the dogs various styles of eating! That is how we are too. The littlest ones eat so fast M has to put a big (for them) rock in their bowl so they slow down. Don't worry, the rocks are big enough so they can't eat or swallow them.
Wags
Ernie for the rest of the pack