Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Faith, hope, and cable ties

First Corinthians 13:11-13 (King James Version, Cambridge ed.)
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I don't think I've ever quoted a bible verse in this blog, and I actually didn't know this was a bible verse until the black magic of Google found it for me.  If pressed for a guess, I would have said it was a line from a Shakespeare play or sonnet.  It had come to mind when I was outside working on the dog kennels, using one of the three essentials in every man's tool box. 

This is my version, from the Gospel according to Brent:

When I was a child, I played with toys like a child, I understood my toys as a child, I thought about toys as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish toys. For now I search through the toolbox, all a jumble; but then it hits me: now I know what I need; out of the chaos comes clarity and a solution to any task at hand.  In there resides duct tape, WD40, and cable ties, these three; but the greatest of these is the cable tie.




Attaching tarp to kennel
 (in this case, a shade cloth)


Securing additional layers of wire fence
to fortify the kennel




































Attaching rope light to top bar of kennel panels
Holding electric cords and hardware cloth





I use a fair amount of WD40, everything in the humid south rusts so everything needs WD40.   I don't use that much duct tape, but I have it; no one should be without it.   I use cable ties by the hundreds.   I have found that they are a quick and easy way to attach tarps to the kennels and I have found myriad uses for them. I went to Lowes this morning and picked up another hundred because I ran out of the 8" ties, which are ideal for most of my uses.   Yes, they decay in the outdoors over time like all plastics and I could use wire instead, but cable ties don't poke, cut, or rust, and they are easy to use in a variety of applications.   They come in many sizes but I prefer the 8" for most uses.   Smaller ones would work for joining chainlink to fencing, but they are tough to manipulate with my fingers.   They come in many colors, but I discovered today that the black said for indoor/outdoor use whereas the white ones said for indoor use.   They make excellent stocking stuffers; get the 100 pack, you'll be surprised at how quickly they disappear.

New yellow lab comes tomorrow.  For now, here's a few garden pics.










My tomato plants are growing by leaps and bounds.  This was taken several days ago, they are
remarkably bigger now, lots of blooms and some fruit beginning to form

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice to see you use all that beautiful land for more than just the dogs! Of course I did notice it looks like most of the plants are in pots around the house...so guess the land has gone to the dogs after all. Can't think of a better use.

BudsBuddy said...

Three cheers for cable ties! When online shopping recently, I came across a product called "designer duct tape." Now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one! (The tape was leopard print.)