Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The gang of four

The terrible trio consisting of Hank, Lana, and Dixie, that triumverate of terror, was transformed into the gang of four today with the addition of the new yellow lab, Cooper.  I had thought his name was Copper, which I would have mispronounced as Cooper more often than not.  When I looked at his paperwork, however, the name on it was actually "Cupper." That wasn't an option for me, so I considered his name to be open and just went back to Cooper, which is a good name anyway. 

I got him back home mid-afternoon and put him in a kennel adjacent to the terrible trio so they could get acquainted without him being overwhelmed.  They did some barking through the fence, mostly him and Hank, but except for the fact that Cooper is intact I didn't see any reason to think they wouldn't all get along. 

He's only about a year old, sweet, but mouthy and ill-mannered.  This evening I took them all out to the pasture for a get-acquainted romp.  They were all fine together, Hank seemed to like having a buddy and someone to tilt the hormonal balance in the group back in his direction.  A good time was had by all and I put them back into the big kennel all together just as it was getting dark. 

The shelter gave him vaccines, wormed him with Panacure, and did a heartworm test, all negative.  If I had left him there a few more days he would have been neutered, but they were full and really needed the space.  I can get him neutered one day next week and then he will be good to go.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these pics! Looks like Lana may be crushing on the new boy:-)

Anonymous said...

Thats good, your blog is cool, i like it. Thanks for the efforts my friend.