Saturday, August 3, 2013

Déjà vu

Upon arrival home:  Maddie has a full tail,
it's just tucked tightly underneath her.
She's a little shepherd mix girl, thin, shy, very scared of people.  Sound familiar?  This one's name is Maddie, rather than Maya, and I hope she will come around faster than Maya did.


Inside, top of the stairs, looking
bright and alert.
She met Zachary as soon as we walked in the door.
I picked her up Saturday morning.  She was scared, but I took her leash and we walked a bit.  I walked and she sort of followed.  I kept wrapping more and more of the leash around my hand so she had to be closer.  Eventually we stopped and sat down.  She was close enough that I could scratch her butt.  Most dogs like that and she clearly didn't want me near her head just yet.  Eventually I maneuvered the two of us until she was between my legs although still facing away from me.  I reached for her head to pet and scratch her there and she was ok with that.  After a bit of that, I scooped her up and just carried her to the van.  She scooted right into the open crate and we headed for home.


Meeting Zach, Cabell, and Bremo
She was better on the leash when we got home but I put a second one on her just to make sure.  We came in and started meeting the pack.  She's much more at ease with new dogs than with new people, even the nine dogs she met here, all bigger than her, with no proper introductions.  My pack is good about that and hopefully they will help her adjust quickly.  I need to get this girl pretty well socialized pretty quickly before we go to New York.


Meeting Trooper and Vince
Meeting Trooper, Maya, Gigi, and Vince
An encounter with Maya on the stairs
I think, I hope, she'll come around pretty soon with the help of the other dogs.  She's not nearly as spooky as Maya was when she first came here.  She seems to know that she has to trust someone and since I'm the only one around now, it's going to be me.  She will let me approach and touch her, but I'm keeping a leash on her, even in the house.  She's hanging out in a crate in my office today, along with Vince and Maya.


She had some dog yard time with several of the others later this afternoon.  Maya ran interference with the Horse when he tried to play rough with her.  She eventually settled into a shady spot and just observed, which isn't a bad thing.
Meeting Toquima and the horse








Maddie with Bremo and his pear.
He usually growls at any dog who comes near his pear, but he gave her a pass today.

No comments: