Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sparky's deck

Sunday was a day that we have no right to expect in August.  It was clear, low humidity, temps starting in the low 70s and only going to the low 80s.  There was a cool breeze in the morning, from the north, moderating the rising temperature.  I fed the dogs, put a steak on the grill for my own breakfast, and then went up to Lowe's to buy lumber for Sparky's deck.
This is the deck space, "before."

I had it pretty much in place by noon.  I had laid out the kennel with the 8'x12' deck in mind so I didn't have to cut anything.  I just put the support boards in place and then laid out the 8' deck boards.  Most of the time involved trenching and leveling the support boards and then squaring up the first deck board on the end.  After that I just laid them down and put in enough screws to hold things in place.  Another hundred or so screws will be required, but not today.
Very simple construction, but the layout,
trenching, leveling, and squaring up took
more time than actually laying the boards.

I called it quits shortly after noon, took a shower and headed to Richmond to see the Flying Squirrels (yes, that's their name, I kid you not), play baseball.  I like to do that at least once a year and today was the perfect day.  I had a couple beers, ate a hotdog, pretzel, and peanuts, and then headed home at the bottom of the 7th inning.
Many more screws are needed yet, but it's usable.

Maddie is doing well.  She is still shy with me outside but is much better indoors.  She's not playing with the other dogs yet, but I don't think that's far off.  In fact, I saw her interacting and playing with them outdoors this evening.  Maya is being a big sister to her.  Who would have thought?





Sparky probably preferred laying in the dirt,
and that's still available, but this will be good
during the muddy seasons.

Sparky hangs out on this elevated platform mostly.

He enjoyed the activity and the company today.



No comments: