Monday, August 12, 2013

Maya and Maddie

Maya and Maddie have a lot in common.  They both arrived as shy, scared dogs.  Maya was scared to the point of being a fear biter.  She trusted no one, but I don't think she was always that way.  She just didn't react well to being abandoned and dumped in a shelter.  I have the feeling that Maddie's fear of people is earlier in origin and more ingrained.  Maya now walks around here like she owns the place.  She carries her tail in a manner that can only be described as a swagger.  I really hope that some of that will rub off on Maddie. 
I think Maddie is beginning to develop at least the look of confidence, sometimes.

This evening was the first time I've seen the two girls really take off and play with each other and it was good to see.  I've got a harness on Maddie now, which is safer, and a long line so I can always get her when it's time to come in.  Once I'm holding her leash she comes right along with me.  She's great indoors and much less skittish.  She's good in her crate.  She's got a lot going for her and she's as cute as can be.  She just needs to get over the fear of people.  Maya has to a large extent.  I can take her out in public now and she will allow strangers to approach and touch her.  I'll start Maddie on a crash course of social skills when we get back from New York.  


This is Maya's swagger.  Good picture of Maddie too.



Maddie, Maya, and Trooper









No comments: