Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Coby's visit

I had forgotten how good looking Coby is.
The three-way meet and greet between
Maya, Coby, and Toquima
Coby is a former foster who was adopted to one of our volunteers, the same guy who brought Patch and company here last week.  He stopped by today, with Coby, on his way to a camping trip.  He brought a food supplement that had helped Coby and I'm now giving it to Patch, who needs all the help he can get.  Coby was going camping but he also wanted him to meet my pack of dogs.  Apparently Coby is somewhat reactive to other dogs, so this was a good opportunity for socialization.  Part of it was clearly protectiveness and possessiveness of his owner, which isn't unusual for shepherds as many of us know.

Before Coby came into the dog yard, I closed several of the dogs into the shed, reducing the crowd to just Maddie and Toquima.  They are both very welcoming and non-threatening.  Then I added Maya, who showed him that she's in charge, but in a very appropriate way.  I was very proud of her.  Then Patch came out, and finally Ochie.  Coby was great.  When too many of them gathered in a small space and approached the critical mass of shepherd stupid, I just got them to disperse. 

Check out the matching tail position.
Coby never challenged her but she let
him know that she was prepared.
Toquima and Maddie, hustling treats
Maya has always reminded me of our late Molly and she does so more and more all the time.  Molly could defuse a tense situation and settle an unbalanced dog better than anyone I've ever seen.  When any of the boys started to act like they might get out of control, Maya went over, gave a look, or whatever, and calmed things down rather than escalating the situation out of control.  That girl may yet be worth all the grief she's caused me.








Toquima and Patch.  Their coloring and markings are similar.
I hope Patch can grow a coat like Toquima's in time.

That's a lot of dog.
Ochie (left), Maddie (right), then front to back in the center is:
Coby, Patch, Maya, and Toquima.


Maya kept everyone under control and had fun doing it.
She may have found her calling.





Toquima will be going home later this week.  We will all miss him.

I love this picture of Coby, Maya, and Maddie.

No comments: