Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A hundred miles

Sparky playing in the new snow.
According to the Mapmywalk app on my iPhone, today I passed the 100 mile mark for the month of January, 103.75 miles to be precise, since the first of the year.

Yesterday Sparky and I did about three miles on the trails just before dark, at a pretty fast pace. We had about an inch or so of snow overnight, our first measurable snowfall of the year and I'd be ok if it's the last. Today I took Ochie out and we did over 5.5 miles, at a much more leisurely pace over the new snow. The sun was shining and it was a pretty day, although we were barely moving fast enough to stay warm.

Maya and Trooper eating
Vince, waiting for his food
Gigi is not a snow dog.
I've got a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon where I'll weigh in and find out if all this exercise is resulting in any weight loss. I started walking this fall when the ticks were gone so it was safe to go into the woods.  I needed some exercise when I was no longer mowing constantly. I went to the doctor earlier this month and was pretty disappointed with my weight then. Although I had still lost 20 pounds from the same time a year ago, I was stalled, and had actually been gaining some back from where I had been a couple months before that. He told me to keep walking and to cut 500 calories a day from my diet. I refuse to count calories and I told him so, but I have cut out a lot of eating. Basically I'm about 3/4ths vegetarian now. I'm eating LOTS of fruit and vegetables and consequently eating a lot less of everything else. It's not terrible really, and I find that I don't need to cook nearly as often because leftovers last longer.
Ochie and Mad Max


Charlie and Mad Max




Ochie, doing what Ochie does best.
Ochie on today's walk.








No comments: