Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Charlie meets (part of ) the pack

Charlie got neutered on Monday. I didn't get him yesterday because of the "big snow" and besides, I thought another day post-surgery would be better for coming here to meet the pack. I went to town this afternoon and brought him home. He's a nice boy, he lays down in a nice submissive posture when meeting someone new, a new human that is, he's not submissive at all when meeting new dogs.



I started with Trooper as I usually do. Trooper is really good at meeting new dogs. Charlie wasn't sure what to do and he gave a little growl but Trooper didn't react to it so it didn't escalate to anything more intense. They sniffed and then went about their business. Charlie was mostly interested in sniffing and marking everything possible in the dog yard.



I brought out Maya and she immediately ran up and got in his face as bitches do, but they were fine. She had her fur up, making it clear that she was the one to be reckoned with. Both dogs held their tails high, but they just sniffed and then Charlie took off running.

























Next came Ochie, whose energy level seems to have a way of pissing off some dogs, but I think and hope that he and Charlie will become friends, or at least running partners. They postured and sniffed, did a little neck wrestling, and one spot of snarling but nothing I couldn't interrupt verbally. Charlie would run past Ochie, partly inviting him to play I think. They got into a spat a little later, just teeth and fur, no real attempt to hurt the other. I closed them both in the shed together for a while to chill.


When I let them out later everything was fine. I will crate them next to each other in the office tonight for more bonding. Charlie's testosterone level will be dropping gradually over the next month and he will be living with a pack of dogs that should teach him how to act. Once he realizes he's not in danger and not being threatened, I think he will also realize that it's more fun to play than to posture.  



(Above and below:  Charlie, kicking up his heels, enjoying a run in the snow-covered dog yard.)










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More fun to play than to posture! Wish everyone could learn that!

XXOO