Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Responsible dog owner?

Maya, the trouble maker
I like to think that I'm a responsible dog owner. My dogs are speutered and vaccinated. I use a leash when I take them out in public and I make every effort to keep them at home. I managed to keep Gypsy safe from contact with non-family members for her entire life and she had only a couple encounters with dogs (Molly and Emmylou) that she didn't consider to be members of her pack. But shit happens, mistakes are made, and I've made my share. Today I made another, but luckily everything turned out fine.
Vince is rarely anyplace other than
under my feet. He has been taking
off for parts unknown just before
bedtime, however. He doesn't say
where he goes.


I had a doctor's appointment this morning so I had closed Maya, Trooper, and Ochie into the shed. That's fine, it's cozy and comfy, full of straw, with access to water and they've spent plenty of time in there on other occasions when I've been away from home. However, I had gone into the shed this morning through the back door, closed it, exited from the front, and didn't go back around to lock the back door. Maya can turn the handles on the doors from inside and she tests them every time. Today she found that it would open, releasing herself, Trooper, and Ochie to the outside world.
Gigi is not interested in running off anywhere.
She seems to be keeping her food down now
and she's back to eating dog food along with
the chicken and rice I cook for her.


I came around the corner heading to the house and spotted a Maya-like dog in the field next door. I came up the drive and saw that the back door of the shed was open and knew instantly what I had done. Much to my surprise, Ochie was still inside. If he had gone out at all he had come back in on his own. Maya showed up a couple minutes later because she had seen me when I had spotted her next door. Trooper, however, was nowhere to be found.


Trooper after his unauthorized walkabout this
afternoon. I plan for that to be his last getaway.
He finally showed up later in the afternoon after several anxious hours. I have no idea what he did or what he may have eaten while he was out on his own, but right now he seems ok except for being worn out. He was exhausted because he's rather fat and out of shape to have spent the afternoon on the run.


I'm always counting dogs to make sure everyone is accounted for and is in their designated space. I'm usually pretty vigilant and it's something I always worry about when someone else is taking care of the dogs because I know how difficult it is, or rather, how easy it is to slip up. 



This was actually the second time that Maya
has let the dogs out and Ochie stayed in place.
He has a sharp bark that hurts my ears, but
I'm more impressed with this dog than ever.
I took him for a quick two miler today.
He just wants a home. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad they are safe and sound! I would have been ill as well!

Jo Heil said...

I do not see how you keep track of all the dogs. We have 2 who are both escape artists and it is a full time job keeping them from escaping. We put a 6 foot privacy fence in the back and a 4 foot picket in the front. This help but they still get out. They rush my husband when he goes out the door and if the gate is not closed they are gone. The neighbors know them by site and just point the direction they were heading. usually takes 1 to 2 hours to round them up. TAZ is easy Shadow will not stop until he is ready to drop.