Monday, July 7, 2014

Stella's foster debut

Below is an email I sent to the VGSR membership today.  It had three purposes:  (1) to introduce Stella and get her bio and pics posted on the web; (2) to find her a potential adopter among other volunteers who serve as caseworkers; and (3) to find her another foster home.

I should say first that Stella has been a dream foster--no problems, no personality conflicts, and she lets you know when she needs to go outdoors.  I'd be happy to keep her as a foster and I may, but there's another shepherd in the Fluvanna shelter that needs out and I can't take another unless someone moves out.  Stella would not present any difficulty for a new or inexperienced foster so I hope that someone will step up and take her so I can take in the new dog and see what she is like.  VGSR has a lot of people who sit on the sidelines contributing their two cents worth of advice on every imaginable topic but little else, so this would be a good opportunity for someone to put up or shut up.  There must have been 20 people who volunteered last week to foster puppies that weren't even part of our rescue.  I have to wonder if anyone will offer to help a senior girl, who would be ever so much easier than a puppy.

Here's my plea for a foster home, and below that is the bio I wrote for Stella for the web:


Stella came from the Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA last week.  She's a 12 year old owner surrender to the shelter.  The information that the owner gave upon surrender was that she had grown up with children who were now 13-15 years old, just slightly older than Stella herself.  The owner also reported that she was good with cats.  I have not and can not verify that (having no children or cats), but I certainly have no reason to think she'd have a problem with kids or probably any living creature.  She moved right into my house and settled in like she had always been there.  I crated her the first night and she has had free run of the house since then and she sleeps in the bedroom at night with the rest of my pack.  She's 12 years old but she has no mobility problems and can handle our bare wooden stairs without any difficulty.  I have a vet appointment for her on Wednesday for basic stuff but she had no apparent issues.  She's a good looking dog and in her youth I'm sure she was stunning.  She has been a dream foster, no problems with any of my personal or foster dogs, and she has been good with meeting new people.  She may not be a fast and easy placement because of her age, but she is an easy foster.  I'd keep her myself, and will if necessary, but my local shelter has contacted me just today about yet another dog in there in need of help.  I can't provide any information about that dog, but if someone wants to foster Stella I will take in the new dog in her place, but I can't take any more until someone moves out.

Brent Jacques


Here's my write up for the website:
Good dogs are made, not born, and Stella has been 12 years in the making so she is a really great dog at this point.  She moved into a foster home with 8 or 9 other dogs and got along with everyone.  She immediately caught on to the household routine such that she was only crated the first night.  She lets you know when she needs out but the rest of the time Stella is happy and content to just lay on a dog bed in the room with her human.  We discovered on the 4th of July that she doesn't like fireworks, but other than that she has been happy and content in her foster home, if somewhat confused about how she landed there.  Stella grew up with children about her own age and had lived with them her entire life until her family moved away without her.  She's good with dogs, with new people, and the prior owner reported that she was good with cats as well.  Her exercise needs are minimal at this age; she's mellow and easy-going, a great companion.  You can contact Stella's foster home at vadogrescue@gmail.com if you have any questions about her or would like to meet her at her home near Charlottesville, VA.

Stella
Sex:Female
Age:12 Years
Color:Black & Tan
Weight:75 lbs.
House-trained:Yes
Crate-trained:Yes
Special Needs:No
Microchipped:Yes
Neutered/Spayed:Yes
Good with Kids:Yes
Good with Cats:Reported to be
Good with Dogs:Yes
Fostered in:Charlottesville, VA
Tag Number:3930
x





No comments: