Saturday, July 12, 2014

Middle aged triathlon

It wasn't a real early start, but Sparky and I hit the trails Saturday morning for a solid five miles.  It was hot and that was far enough, besides, I had two more events to complete for the day.



Clay and I then drove over to Richmond early afternoon and hit Hardywood brewery.  We had never been there and they were releasing a new beer today, a Belgian blond ale made with blackberries, which was surprisingly good.  They directed us over to another nearby brewery, Ardent.  That was a very friendly crowd--the regulars actually stood and applauded any new folks who came in the door.  The beer was very good too.  We hit yet another Richmond beer place, Mekong, for an early dinner.  It's a Vietnamese restaurant in a strip mall shopping center that has a huge selection of beer on tap, particularly Belgian ales.  Very unlikely place; great food.



We were back home by late afternoon, so after shuffling dogs around we loaded up the canoe and I set off on my third outing for the day, a float trip down the Rivanna.  The river was much lower and slower than it was a week ago, and the water was much clearer.  It was a nice trip but it was getting pretty dark by the time I hauled the canoe out of the water at the Palmyra boat ramp.

A good day.  I should sleep well tonight.
I saw two bald eagles but had no chance to get a photo.


It was late afternoon and apparently cocktail hour for deer.
I saw at least a dozen of them in the water having a drink
and cooling off at the end of the day.






No comments: