Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Working it

We've had some unusually decent July weather lately so I've been taking advantage of the chance to get out and walk again. Sparky and I did 5.12 miles on Tuesday; Maya and I did 5.2 miles on Wednesday. I was doing over 100 miles a month until June, and I won't quite make 100 for July but I'll be back up to over 90.

Sparky is the best walking companion, but he doesn't need to go every day and Maya needs some structured outings so I've been alternating between those two. Maya is fine, but she's not quite as enthusiastic about it. I do think she's enjoying the time alone with me, however. She tends to walk out ahead as far as the leash allows and then stop when she feels any tension on the leash. I keep moving and then walk into her or I have to walk around. Sparky keeps more of constant tension on the leash, stopping for his sniff and piss breaks, but pretty much always staying ahead of me, and out of my way. Neither dog gives me any real assistance on the hills, I'm on my own.

Maya and I spotted a deer today, no more than 30 yards in front of us, standing right in the middle of the trail and staring directly at us. That got her excited but she's still relatively easy to control on the leash.









Sparky's walk on Tuesday
Maya's walk on Wednesday

No comments: