Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Christmas that almost wasn't

We spent Christmas eve in Charlottesville with Clay's mother and brother. We didn't get home too late so I put the new Dane, Diesel, back out to the dog yard with Ochie and Barkley where he had been in the afternoon. I went out later to put them to bed and found that Diesel was gone. This dog had lost his permanent home and had spent two days with a new owner. He was surrendered to the shelter after he broke a window trying to get out. He obviously has a strong drive to return "home" even if he no longer has a home.

I called, I yelled, I drove around, all to no avail. We went to bed finally but I was up at 4:00 a.m. to make another check outside. Nothing. At 6:00 a.m. Sparky started barking and I shot out of bed, hoping to find him camped out in the open kennel or in the back end of the van that I left open last night. Still no Diesel.

After daylight I made another tour of the local roads. Finally I came back home and posted Diesel's picture on the Lost and Found Pets of Fluvanna Virginia page on Facebook. It was shared widely within minutes and it wasn't long before I had a call from the Fluvanna County SPCA. Diesel had been picked up on Rt. 15, where he would likely have been hit. He had spent the night in her backyard kennel and I went over to pick him up. He was fine but seemed happy to see a familiar face.
I walked Diesel (right), Hugh and Fanny (left)

Maya wanted to lead our walk, but she also
wanted to make sure I was following.
Hugh (Clay's brother) on the left with Fanny.
That's Clay on the right with Maya.
I've got a tag on him now and he went to Charlottesville today for Christmas along with Maya and the puppy, Fanny. It was afternoon by the time we got there and the dogs spent most of the time in the van, but we took them out for drinks and walks.

This evening I set up the last of our really large, giant sized crates in the kitchen for Diesel. I want him within sight at all times until I'm sure that he's sure that this is his home.

Fanny walks nicely on a leash.
Did I mention he has diarrhea? Almost certainly due to the stress of the last few days, and changes in food too. Immodium and metronidazole are a stressed dog's best friends.

































Merry freakin Christmas








No comments: