Sunday, January 6, 2019

Maya & Trooper

Maya 💗 Trooper

Maya has always had a thing for Trooper. It was unrequited love in the beginning, when she was in heat and fell for him. But like any long-lasting love affair, it has changed, grown, and matured over time. But it has never faded. 

One of my favorite Maya/Trooper stories occurred several years ago when I was heading out for a hike with Maya. I had left Trooper upstairs in a crate in my office. She refused to come with me and instead brought me back upstairs to his crate and insisted that I let him out. Trooper didn't mind being crated, but she didn't want him left in there while we were gone. She didn't insist that he come with us either, but she wouldn't leave while he was still in the crate. 

I have written on here in the past that I think that Maya would attempt to protect me if anyone threatened me, but I am absolutely certain that she would lay waste to anything that threatened Trooper. 

We took Trooper on our walk this afternoon because he was really wanting to go. I only take Trooper when he's really wanting to go because he's getting up there in age and he's got old man aches and pains. Usually he's content to stay at home but some days he feels good and wants to go. Today was beautiful and everyone was tired of being stuck indoors, so I wasn't surprised that he asked to come along. 

We only did our two mile walk because of the muddy trails, but I could tell that Trooper's initial enthusiasm for the walk was giving way to fatigue about half way through. Trooper was lagging behind at that point so I slowed down and Maya dropped back behind me to walk with him. 

When we came to a nice grassy spot along the route, Maya pulled off to the left and stopped. Just stopped. She didn't need to pee or poop; she wasn't even stopping to sniff anything. I really believe that she stopped because she thought that Trooper needed a rest. So we stopped for a few minutes, just a short rest, but it was enough. He did seem glad for the rest stop but he would never have asked for it himself. Maya might not have asked for it for herself either, but she would for Trooper. 










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful love story! Thank you for sharing.

Jamie

Byron's Mom said...

This post made me smile- Thank you for that! I love seeing pictures of these two together:-)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they knew each other in a previous life? What a sweet love story.