Monday, January 14, 2019

Smokey and others enjoy the snow

Sunday was the snow day but we didn't really get that much and it wasn't snowing all the time. Early in the day I could see that Smokey was excited by the snow and the signals he's been sending are that he really wants to be with other dogs. So I brought him over to the dog yard, figuring that I'd find out if he would jump the four foot fence.
Max and Theo in back, Smokey in foreground.

Smokey had already been with Theo, but bringing him to the dog yard meant meeting Max as well. That went smoothly. The snow really had everyone in play mode and that probably helped. Later I introduced Diesel as well, because Diesel would often go over to Smokey's kennel when he was outside so I knew they were at least well acquainted.

All things considered, Smokey is behaving better than I expected with other dogs, much better than I feared. Getting him integrated into the pack is key to getting him integrated into the household and better socialized generally.

Picture quality is poor because lighting conditions were poor on Sunday, and the dogs were always in motion.




That's Smokey facing off with Max, who has
the ball. Theo would occasionally run
between them to police the situation but there
was never any trouble.


I really wondered how Diesel would fare in that mix, but he
had no trouble handling Smokey either.










Serena, Diesel, and Theo


Serena wanted to go to the dog yard to play but I'm still trying
to be careful of her leg. I let her out to run in the snow a bit
but not in the dog yard where she'd be mixing it up with the
shepherd boys.

Theo would have preferred a tennis ball, but
they get lost in the snow and Serena will eat
them if she finds them.

Trooper coming in after patrolling the front fence.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sweet Smokey! So glad he's interested in becoming a member of the pack.