Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Snow Ball

I hadn't had Smokey out in the pasture yet because I wanted to be reasonably sure that he wouldn't try to jump, climb, or dig out. He seems to be want to be where the other dogs are and to be in on the action, so I am less concerned about that now. I also hadn't had anyone out in the pasture since it snowed. I really owed Theo a good game of ball in the pasture, so today we did all three.

I kept Max and Diesel together in the dog yard in the morning. It's a muddy mess, but without Theo being there they don't run around and get muddy. I had Theo and Smokey together in the kennel in the morning, and then took all four shepherd boys to the pasture for a good run this afternoon.

I played ball with Theo. That's really all he cares about. I had assumed that Smokey would run with Theo but instead he was all about Max. Smokey ran half a step behind him as Max ran around carrying a chunk of 4x4 and trying to get away from Smokey. Smokey's go-to move to get another dog to play is to bite them on the butt. Max tolerated that longer than I thought he would and far longer than I would have.

Finally Max dropped his chunk of wood, turned around and nailed him. I didn't intervene, if anything I encouraged Max. Smokey walked away shaking his head but he didn't seem to be bleeding and he didn't slow down, but he did ease up on Max. The funny thing is that Diesel was following Smokey doing the same thing, although with less bite, and Smokey didn't seem to mind at all.
Theo with two tennis balls.

It was a good run. The dogs got wet but not muddy until they came back into the dog yard. I moved Smokey back to his kennel and brought Theo inside. The best thing happened when I took a bowl of food out to Smokey later in the day. He came in as I was putting the bowl down. I held it for a moment and he gave my hand a kiss before going for the food.


This Smokey dogging on Max and going after his back end.

I think this is the moment when Max finally had had enough
and turned around and nailed him.


Smokey walked around holding his head funny like his ear
hurt, but he wasn't bleeding and he deserved it anyway.
Diesel stuck to Smokey like
Smokey was stuck to Max.



Diesel and Smokey

Theo and Smokey




I'm still amazed that Diesel can keep up with the other dogs on his shorter legs.

Nice picture of Max.
L to R: Max, Theo, Smokey, and Diesel










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such handsome, happy dogs!