Monday, June 1, 2020

Bruno and puppies

We took Bruno out for a walk around the yard this evening. He was really good on the leash, which tells me that he probably had a distant past that was more pleasant than his recent history that landed the owner in court. Also, he met Theo and had no problem with that.

Theo played his part very well too, so I think he will be taking over the role of first and primary greeter now that Trooper is gone. Theo is big enough to handle another dog, but he is non-provocative. I've actually seen him allow another dog to take advantage of him for beyond the point that I would have been tolerant. He's certainly not to escalate tensions when meeting a new dog. He may or may not have Trooper's ability to calm and console the scared ones, but if he can give us a good read on the new dog's temperament that's a very valuable contribution by itself.





That little tuft of hair is unique.




After letting Theo meet Bruno, we turned our attention to the three wee pups in the shed with Luna. It's been bothering me that I can't handle these little guys so much and I can't tell for sure if they are growing. I borrowed a scale and we set it up and weighed them all this evening. The male was 4.1 pounds, and the two females were like 3.6 and 3.8 pounds. 

I can walk into the shed with Luna on the pups now, but I do not turn my back on her. Luna had a bout of diarrhea in the shed last night that I needed to clean up this morning. I couldn't get her to come out so I walked into the shed, approached her and dropped a slip leash over her head. Then she stood up and walked out with me without a problem. I closed the door and then cleaned and changed the bedding before letting her back in. We aren't exactly fast friends just yet, but it's getting better. I think the diarrhea was due to meet putting too much food into her, especially too much canned food. I couldn't cut her off entirely today, so I cooked up a batch of chicken and rice and she ate that three times today. She wouldn't touch it initially, but when I left her alone with it she tried a little and then ate it all.










Three is certainly a lot easier than 12, both for the mother dog and for us.
At this point they don't really do much of anything besides eat,
sleep, and crawl around on their bellies.

No comments: