Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Journey tries to play

I'd be happy to report that Journey is now my best friend and follows me everywhere. Unfortunately, that is not the case. He still views me with much suspicion and fear, especially if I do anything he's not expecting. I take him out to walk 4-5 times a day. He has established a route that he likes to take around the yard while he does his business and he's very good about that. But, if I try to actually lead, and vary the route, he acts like I'm out to get him and gets all spooky and scared.

Journey is more comfortable now indoors, either in his crate or on one of the big beds in the kitchen area. He has taken a liking to several chew toys we have around and I make sure that he has at least one of them in his crate when he's closed in. I let him out when I'm in the kitchen, but I've caught him chewing on the arm of a chair on occasion, so I don't leave him loose unattended.

Where he is making some bit of progress is in his relations with the other dogs in the house. He's more confident with them than with people, but his social backwardness shows there too. Sometimes he's been trying to engage in play behavior with others, but he doesn't quite know how to go about it. Maya has been trying to engage with him the most, but Serena and Della to have as well. The one who might be best is Kismet, just because of her age, but I don't need her jumping all around if they get going. I may try taking him out to meet her in Daneland, but I'll have to keep a long leash attached because I think he's still a flight risk and may always be so, at least around here.

He's pretty easy to have around, except for the need to leash walk him several times a day. I just wish he'd learn to trust, although I know that's going to take a while yet.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that Journey will come around, as he has such good teachers and friends.