Saturday, June 13, 2020

Then

One year ago today Della gave birth to 12 puppies and successfully raised them all over the next 10-12 weeks when they were all adopted. They have all grown. Many of them are now larger than Della, but as one adopter recently said, Della is larger than life.

As I'm writing this the birthday celebration get together is several hours off. I will post some pictures from that later this evening or, more likely, tomorrow. But here are some never before seen, behind the scenes photos and videos from the original birth day, one year ago.

7:05 a.m., This is Chimay, first born pup, named for the priciest beer. She was born in a crate in my office and carried to the whelping pool in the other room, followed closely by Della. She came in at 14 oz. Look at those little pink feet!
















8:24 a.m. First there was Chimay, and Chimay was good, but Chimay was alone so Della brought forth Paulaner, at 15 oz.:



8:45 a.m. Modelo makes his first appearance, weighing in at 14 oz. He was always one of the biggest pups and he still is.


9:04 a.m., Allagash arrived 15 minutes later, giving Della barely enough time to have the last one cleaned up and nursing. This was multi-tasking at its finest.




9:14 a.m., not even 15 minutes later, Stella comes forth, the smallest at that point, just 12.5 oz., but I think she's now bigger than Della.



10:45 a.m., Carlsberg, 13.5 oz., this guy is almost Della's clone because he has that same black sleeve on his right front leg.



That's the six morning puppies. I seem to have fallen off taking birthing photos in the afternoon. I have some, but it's difficult to match them up with the next six births. But here's some group pics for now, showing a proud and happy Della with her puppies.




I'll post some grown up pictures tomorrow, and will add some more baby pics here if I can figure out who is who in them later.

I occurs to me that Della and I share something in common. We both have people who like us because we gave them their best friend. Della produced 12 pups and has at least that many people who think the world of her just because of what she did for them. I've experienced that in rescue work as well. When you place a dog with someone and that dog means the world to them, some of that hallowed glow rubs off on the person who fostered the dog and made the placement. That's fine with me, I'll take it and be glad for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the 12-pack!