Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Ear Events

I feed all the adult dogs in the morning first and then go out to let the puppies out of the shed. They came tumbling out as usual and went right for the food bowl that I had brought out. I headed back out the gate so I could go inside to clean, but when I closed the gate and turned around, I saw the little black-faced female pup sitting with both her ears up in full German Shepherd Dog style and position! By the time I got my camera pointed at her she had come over to the gate and I got this picture of her through the gate with only one ear up. I know that when they first start to go up they go up and down rather randomly for a while before finally settling on the erect position. 

When we went back out in the evening to weigh and de-worm the pups again, she had one up, or one up and tipped. I haven't seen it yet on the other two, but it will happen. The pups should be going to their new homes this coming weekend. Luna is staying in the house now, but I did put her out with her pups for a while in the morning. She's been a very good mother but now it's time to work on finding her a home as well.

The new boys, Buster and Jackson, are settling in, looking and acting more comfortable around the place and with the other dogs. I can take them out to the yard off leash along with Della, Serena, and Arby. They are exploring the property a bit, but are never far away and come when I call.









This is the one male of this litter.
He's the largest at 18 pounds today.



Here's the black-faced girl with her ears getting
a little gravity assist to stand up.
She's still the smallest, and some say, the cutest.


She's got classic shepherd markings and she's
going to be very pretty.
This is the other female, she's the middle
child in terms of size.

This may be the equivalent of raising your hand when you want attention.
In this case, she wants to be picked up and held.

No comments: