Monday, July 20, 2020

The heat is on

It's unusual for us to have this many days in the 90s without a break, even in July. I am very glad that the puppies went to well air-conditioned homes over the weekend. My plan had been to shut down the window units that cooled the Puppy Palace now that they were gone, but today I came up with a new idea.

I removed about half the linoleum flooring
that had gotten pretty torn up by the puppies.
Kismet and Journey had been in the larger part of Daneland during the days. There's shade out there all day, but it's still outdoors in 90+ degrees. I opened the divider and gave Kismet and Journey access to the puppy end of Daneland, including the air-conditioned shed where the puppies had been. I also put Bruno and Luna out with them during the day. Luna already knew how to use the dog door and Bruno and Kismet learned it right away. Journey hasn't yet, as far as I know, but he's watched the others come and go through it today and I'll make sure he learns it tomorrow.

The new arrangement gives those four more canine company, which is particularly good for Journey. And it gives them all access to cooled accommodations during the day. I've had the other eight dogs inside all day, which isn't bad, but having all 12 in here would have been a bit much. Yes, I do laugh at people who say things like: "I wish we had room for another dog." 
Kismet (crate) and Bruno in the cool air.

Speaking of space, we normally have our six dogs in the bedroom at night: Maya, Serena, Della, Arby, Max, and Theo. The fosters are crated generally, except Jackson and Buster who have free roam of the house and always seem to share a single dog bed at the top of the stairs. However, last night Jackson got Clay up at 4:30 a.m. scratching at the door. Clay took them out, but he continued to scratch until we all finally got up at 5:30 in the morning. Jackson wanted in the bedroom. So tonight we'll add another dog bed which Jackson and Buster will probably share, because we don't want another 4:30 wake up call. The only potential problem is Arby, who is a bit of an asshole about other dogs coming into the bedroom on his side of the room. We'll see how it goes.

Bruno and Kismet both learned quickly to use the dog door.

Luna tried being the bitchy female shepherd and
claiming the crate for herself, but Kismet was
just oblivious to it and plopped herself down. 




When I went out to check I usually found the two females,
Luna and Kismet, in the cool shed, and the two boys, Bruno
and Journey, were outside. I'll show Journey how to get in
and out of it tomorrow when I take him out in the morning.




No comments: