Monday, November 2, 2020

A Walk with Bessie

I haven't been out for a walk since returning from Kansas and I've been needing it. Today was windy and chilly, but the sun was shining, that makes for a nice day in my book. Maya and I took Bessie out for her first walk. She had lived on a chain her entire life as far as I know so I didn't have great expectations for how she would be on a walk. 

When we started out across an open field she was unfocused and moved back and forth all over the place. Maya and I were both pleasantly surprised then when we got into the woods on a well defined trail. Bessie quickly oriented herself on the trail and moved forward on it. It took her a little while to figure out that the trail was our intended route, but once she did she stuck to it faithfully. Many new dogs walk back and forth from left to right as much as they move forward, but not Bessie, she walked the trail like she knew where we were going. She was quite good about following the trail even where it wasn't very well defined and was covered with leaves, by scent I suspect, but scent of what I don't know. 

She was also good about watching Maya and taking cues from her. It was a good walk and even Maya was able to enjoy it, which isn't always the case with a new dog coming along. I think Bessie is a smart girl.

Bessie came indoors after the walk and it's my intention for her to begin spending nights in here at least. I fixed up a crate for her and she's been alright for the afternoon and evening. There have been absolutely no problems between her and the other dogs. Bessie being indoors means that Journey is alone outdoors in Daneland tonight. He's already voicing his concern. I tried to get him in but he wouldn't let me get close enough to leash him. If he keeps up the barking, Bessie will have go back out with him for tonight until I can figure a way to get Journey leashed again tomorrow so I can bring him in as well. 








No comments: