Monday, November 23, 2020

Not quite a marathon

Actually, it wasn't even close to a marathon, but I walked seven miles today and that's a little more than a quarter marathon. It's also longer than I've walked in one day since my walks around town when I was in Salina. 

I started out with Maya and the puppy, Sam. Maya is always the starter -- it's a rule, at least if I want to find the house in order when I return. We walked a little over two miles and came back home. It used to be that I'd swap out the second dog and take someone else with Maya for the second leg. Today, however, I dropped off Maya and picked up Theo to do the second two miles or so along with Sam. 

Sam is a bundle of German Shepherd puppy energy and I thought she needed the second hike more than Maya. Maya had other ideas, however, and I came home to find that she had done some counter surfing while I was off with Sam and Theo. Nothing overly destructive, she just helped herself to a couple of cinnamon rolls that I had left out. I had left the Danes in their crates, and the only other dog loose indoors was Arby, so I know it was Maya. Besides, she met me at the door and told me about it while also voicing her displeasure that I had left without her. 

I put the trash can into the bathroom and closed the door, cleared anything edible from the countertops, shut the door to the food closet, and went out for a third walk with Sam again, along with Della. 

The three legs added up to seven miles for Sam and me, but I'd bet that I'm feeling it more than she is tonight. She will be ready to do it all again tomorrow, but I think we'll take the day off.

Good hiking weather, not many people, and several deer sightings. Nice day.



Maya and Sam will be about the same size eventually, 
but right now Maya probably has 20 pounds on her.





Maya has taught many new fosters about hiking, but I think it's helpful for any new foster,
and especially for any puppy, to walk with different dogs. I'm sure they learn something 
different from each hiking companion.


Aren't these two cute together?


Della doesn't play with Sam at home and barks in her face pretty often.
On the trail she was more tolerant. Sam took that to mean that they were best friends now
and tried to play with Della while walking. That didn't go very far.



We covered a good amount of trail with very little double tracking.


No comments: