Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Catching up on Vetting

I was pretty much out of commission for about two months. During that time several of our dogs came due for various vaccines and other vet work. This week I'm working on getting everyone caught up. That's a good thing, but the bad thing about it is that the four dogs I'm taking in this week will come due again all at the same time next year. But that's a problem for next year.

Today I took Serena. She didn't need all that much done, but I had her nails trimmed too because they were becoming lethal weapons on her big paws. Serena is a nervous dog at the vet. Downright scared really. Her tail was tucked up tight under her belly the entire time and I had to walk with them to the door to get her to go along. I sat outside waiting with the rear tail gate open on the van. When the door opened and she spotted me and the van she came running, dragging the vet tech along with her. 

She had lost some weight over the past year, which could be attributed to the ongoing battle with hook and whip worms that we've had with both the poop-eating Danes. I should hear about the results of the fecal test tomorrow.

In the afternoon I took Maya and Theo out for a hike. I've been driving to Pleasant Grove and starting my walks from that end of the trail system since last spring probably. Today I parked at the trailhead behind the library, which is closer to home anyway. There was a time when I always started from there, but I hadn't this summer mostly due to mud and bugs. I had just started down the trail when I saw a new trail marker pointing to a new trail that I knew nothing about. Being the road less traveled, we took it of course, and were pleased to discover two new trails that covered some new territory before hooking up with a more established part of the trail network. 

The new trails weren't worn down much and they were covered in leaves and without much scent, so the dogs had some trouble following them and I relied on the plastic flags that the trail builder had set out to find our way. The new trail added a mile or more to the system and it was a pleasant surprise for the day.


Serena's tail was still tucked tightly when she jumped back into the van.

She was very happy to be back into the van and headed home.

Here's the first new trail sign we encountered, for the Fern Valley trail.
The dogs checked out the messages on the fence post.

I hadn't been on this section of the trail system since last winter or early spring.
There was even a small footbridge built that we had never seen. The wood still looked quite new.




The Boulder Forest trail is another new one. We'll take it next time.

Sparky's watering hole is still there and is deeper than ever.


Theo and Maya were a good walking pair. They got me moving faster than usual but without pulling.











No comments: