Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Empty nest

The last two puppies went home Tuesday evening, ahead of the storm. Hurricane Ida seems to have missed us for the most part, and that's fine with me. I was glad that they both went home within hours of each other so there wasn't just one lonely pup out there last night. I probably would have asked Lexie to spend the night with the pup if that was the case. 

I loved Lexie's puppies but compared to an adult dog they are so high maintenance. So I was ready to send them off to their new homes. It's time to concentrate on Lexie, and getting some weight off of the two new shepherds. And of course there's still Hugo, and a never ending supply of other dogs needing help. There is never really time to sit and reflect in the world of rescue, you have to keep moving on.

I did sit out there for a while after the last pup had left, however. Looking around I saw a lot of cleanup to do, torn up flooring to go to the dump, a final load of laundry, so many empty cardboard boxes of puppy pads to burn or recycle in order to get things back to what passes for "normal" around here. The act that really brought home the finality of this most recent rescue effort was something I remembered from the end of the prior puppy experiences - turning off the last air conditioner as I walked out the door leaving behind nothing but silence. 

Dogspeed little puppies. Go forth and conquer, for the world is small and you are giants. Every step you take will make the ground shake as it rises to meet you.

Apple Crumb (left) and Jelly (right) sharing a meal.






This space feels very empty now, but I'm sure it won't be for long.


This is the final video I made when all six pups were in residence.




No comments: