Monday, September 13, 2021

The G7

Around here the Group of Seven consists of Della, Serena, Max, Hugo, Lexie, Rufus, and Melly. I'm not sure when I've had seven dogs I can take out to the pasture who get along so well and engage with each other the way this group does. 

Della is the least engaged of the group. She has farm dog business to do, but she does keep an eye on everyone, probably more than I realize. This evening I was down in the lower pasture on the mower and probably five of the other dogs were more or less circling around me. As I headed back up the hill, there was Della sitting on the crest of the hill just watching us all, keeping an eye on her territory.

The dog most responsible for all the togetherness out there is Hugo. He would prefer to be the only dog because he is only focused on me and whatever I am throwing. But his intense focus on the game, and on me, has infected the other dogs. Melly is always nearby, usually with a disc or ball of her own in her mouth. Rufus is beginning to get more involved with the game, mostly by challenging Hugo, which is stupid. Max hangs around the sideline but when he sees a chance he swoops in to pick off a bad throw. Lexie couldn't care less about the game, but she likes to be around the other dogs. Even Serena, who views toys as solo playthings, sees everyone else interested in what I'm throwing and she has moved in and grabbed a disc or ball away from another dog on occasion. 

Today I got everyone out twice, once for about a half hour or so in the morning, and again in the hour before dark. Maya spent a good part of the morning and early afternoon out in Daneland playing with Lexie. I left her out there longer than she really wanted, however, and I heard about it when I finally brought her in. All the dogs with even a bit of German Shepherd DNA are blowing their coats right now. That's Max, Rufus, Melly, Maya, and even Arby. I'm carrying a brush with me everywhere I go now. Whenever I can grab a shepherd I do some grooming on the spot so we have small piles of shepherd fur all over the yard and pasture. I even used an attachment on the vacuum on Rufus and Melly today too. I need to do a couple baths this week and then re-apply flea and tick treatment. Maybe tomorrow.

This G7 is a really easy group to exercise and equally easy when it comes to feeding and sleeping arrangements. I know that four of them are fosters and need to find homes, but I don't feel pressed to make it happen immediately.


Lexie and Rufus



Max and Serena


Max, Rufus, Lexie

When Max (left) doesn't have something in his mouth, he then
makes a play for whatever toy Hugo is chasing after.

Hugo, Serena in back.



Keeping watch from a distance.

Here's six of the seven. Della is not so interested in group play. 


Serena's interest in toys is usually short-lived.

I think Melly is beginning to show some weight loss too.

Hugo occasionally heads to the dog yard for a refreshing dip but then he comes
right back, ready for more play.

The problem with Max and toys is that when he gets one he works on destroying it.
I really wish he'd just keep a chunk of wood in his mouth.


Rufus looking slimmer every day.

It's an obsession with him, but it really is impressive and entertaining to watch.

I ordered five discs from Amazon so there would be plenty to go around.
Melly mostly likes to carry hers but I made a few short throws for her with it.

Della always has eyes on the action.

Earlier in the day, Rufus and Hugo got into a scuffle (Rufus was harassing him when
Hugo was focused on the disc), and Rufus got a cut on one of his ears. This is Della
noticing it this evening and trying to get close enough to check it out.

Rufus is running off his excess weight.

Lexie and Hugo



Lexie would make a good farm dog herself, if that position wasn't already filled around here.

No comments: