Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Smart, smarter, and Maya

Maya has enough shepherd in her that she sheds plenty of her fur to share with the household. I decided to deal with it today by giving her an outdoor bath. Perhaps I'm optimistic, although I've rarely been so accused, but this was the last day with 90 degrees in the forecast for this week, and perhaps for this year? So today was the day for Maya's bath. 

She was good about it, if not enthused. She jumped up onto the platform for me and tolerated the process really well. I got a lot of hair off of her, but will get even more off her tomorrow when she's thoroughly dry and I can brush her. 

After the bath I put her out in Daneland with Hugo and Lexie so she could dry. She enjoys a little outdoor time but maybe I should install a bell that she can ring when she wants to come in. I came back inside to work and went out a little while later, only to be met by her outside the back door. Lexie and Hugo were also free because Maya had opened the gate and let them all out. I don't know how long they had been loose, but I was very happy that Maya had not gone off on an adventure, but had come to the door and immediately came to me when she saw me. 

I looked back and the gate to Daneland was standing open. No one had ever opened that gate before, but it's not all that difficult, just requires lifting a latch. That's a feat that should require fingers, but I expect she had just jumped at it and pushed with her nose until she managed to lift it. This dog has also turned a door knob to get out of the bedroom. It's not just the fact that she managed to do it physically, but she must have observed how the latch worked and figured out how she could do it. 

I've never had a smarter dog and I hope I never do. 

A late season magnolia blossom. It just opened today so I caught it at its best.








A giant spider web, and a good sized spider, out in Daneland this evening.






1 comment:

Rachel said...

Maya has my heart. Good girl for not running off on an unauthorized adventure.