Thursday, September 16, 2021

Della's home for wayward mothers

Della's Beer Garden has been renamed. The place is a good set up for puppies and we've made good use of it a number of times for that purpose since the 12 pack, most recently with Lexie and her pups. Now there's a new resident, a very pregnant merle Dane, who could go into labor any minute. 

She arrived late last night, scared and very confused. Two dogs in her former home had died of parvo and if she didn't get out before her puppies were born they all would certainly have suffered the same fate. This girl had some vaccines in the past, so we're hoping they are still sufficiently effective to protect her and her pups when they are born. 

She arrived close to midnight and was understandably very scared. We had spent the evening getting ready, putting down flooring and constructing a whelping box. She laid in the box once but preferred the bed that I had laid out for myself on the floor. I felt her touch my knee with her muzzle at one point and then she laid down at the foot of my bed. Later she moved in next to me and I had to move around to make room for her. It wasn't the best night's sleep either of us has ever had, but it had the desired effect of earning her trust, which I needed so she'll let me help and handle the puppies when they arrive.

Today is her official "due date" based on the date that she was mated with a male black Great Dane. It hasn't happened yet but could start at any time. This is at least she second litter and she had 11 last time. Today I set up the cot that I had bought but never used when Della had her pups. I'll sleep on it tonight and give her the big bed on the floor all to herself. Our internet reaches out there and thanks to internet television I've got TV out there, which is really pretty nice. Maya was not happy about my absence from the bedroom last night, however. Apparently she got up into bed twice last night to check for me and to tell Clay to go get me. Della knows what's up, as does Lexie, so everyone is being pretty cool about it. 

She doesn't have a new name yet.

















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody should be that pregnant! Poor girl. You guys will give her the very best care so she’s like coy to land with you.

Byron's Mom said...

I am so glad she is safe with you! Looks like this may be a very busy weekend for you all!

Risa Lapidow said...

If you are taking suggestions for names, what about "Gaia" the mother of the Titans?

Ellen Berube said...

I lover her already! Thank you for taking care of this sweet mama!

koiwitch said...

Thank you so much for taking her in!

What about Vivian(after a rare blue stone vivianite) or Opal?