Saturday, February 12, 2022

A day of outings

Green Dogs held a combination adoption event/fundraiser at Natural Pet Essentials in Charlottesville today. I took Allie, Finley, and Zippy. 

The greatest benefit from an event like this, aside from funds raised, is the opportunity to expose the dogs to a new environment, lots of new people, and see how they react. I was pretty confident that Finley, the chocolate lab, would do well just because he's a lab. I shouldn't assume that all labs will have that naturally friendly and steady temperament, and I've even had one who didn't, but I'm glad to say that Finley is a stereotypical lab and he was true to form. When there weren't enough volunteers to handle all the dogs it was Finley that I put back in the van for a while because I figured that he was the one least in need of the experience and exposure.

I was cautiously optimistic about Allie, the chocolate merle Great Dane, because the only times I've actually had her out in the public there really weren't many people around. There were certainly a lot of people out there today, and other dogs, and many people who wanted to meet and pet Allie. She was handled by a friend and two time adopter who was very free with the treats. Allie responded to her beautifully and she was great with other people and all the dogs there as well. There was none of the fear that I saw when I picked her up from the prior owner. She was happy. She was also very focused on me, kept an eye on me whenever I walked away, and I was happy to see that as well. I do need to put a gentle leader on her so she will be easier to handle. She's big and she's strong and can pull very hard when just using a slip lead or a leash clipped to her collar.

The one that I expected trouble from was the little shepherd girl, Zippy, but I was pleasantly surprised with her as well. I expected a lot of barking at the other dogs but she only barked once or twice all day and responded quickly when I corrected her. She proved to be very food motivated as well and really liked the free flowing treats from her handler and from people who were supplied with them by the handler. She did get a bit bitchy when another dog was too close to what she considered to be her supply of treats. That bit of resource guarding was the only problematic behavior from her today, and that was only an issue with other dogs, not with people.

A big treat for me was seeing three former foster dogs today:  Elliott, one of Allison's pups from just this past fall;  Augie (formerly Paulaner, one of Della's pups from two years ago); and Peach (a very short term foster I had named Dolly).

After two hours at the event I was tired to standing and tired of being nice to people. We headed over to Patch Brewing Co. where we met some other friends and gave the dogs another new experience, which they all handled well in spite of being tired.

Finley showed off his lab retrieving skills in the dog park, bringing back whatever was thrown and depositing it at the feet of the thrower. I hadn't done that with him yet in the pasture because they all just play with each other for the most part. 

Zippy enjoyed the brewery as well. I was thinking back to my days with Virginia German Shepherd Rescue and remarked that if I was still with that group Zippy would be adopted in a heartbeat. Everything about her, including her attitude, is typical shepherd. She needs some training, of course, but mostly she needs a person to bond with. But it needs to be a person who knows shepherds and knows what needs to be done and is committed to doing it. A shepherd in the hands of someone who just wants them for their look is a disaster waiting to happen that won't end well for the dog.

Allie loved the brewery. She loved the treats, the attention, and she handled it all very well. Everyone loved her and she's a sweet, gentle giant. 

The dogs are tired tonight and so am I, but it felt good to get out and do something different today.








Finley reminds me that there are very good reasons for the popularity of labs.









Elliott and the rest of Allison's litter will be five months old on February 18th.













No comments: