Friday, February 25, 2022

Who wouldn't?

Erika sent me a message about 4:00 this afternoon asking if I wanted a five month old black Dane. The only possible response to that question is "who wouldn't?" And that's how Bonnie came to us about 8:00 p.m. this evening.

The youngsters around here, Zippy and Axel, are thrilled about it. The older dogs, not so much. But she will be a great playmate for Axel especially, who is about the same age and energy level.

Della and I got out for a 3.5 mile walk before Bonnie arrived. There weren't many people out and about at Pleasant Grove late this afternoon, which made for better wildlife viewing opportunities. We surprised a hawk, or he surprised us, he flew down out of a tree not far from us, apparently after some small prey on the ground. I'm not sure if he got it or not, but he then flew back up, almost vertically, and disappeared in some trees. A little way farther down the trail we scared up a wild turkey, who also flew almost straight up and away from us as fast as he could. Yes, wild turkeys can fly. And to round out the wildlife adventure we spotted a couple deer. I didn't see them until they started running and then just had a quick glimpse of their white rear ends disappearing into the woods. I was glad I had the gentle leader on Della.

The three young dogs played in the house for a while this evening until they were annoying me as well as the older dogs and I put them all in crates for the night. More on Bonnie in coming days, I'm sure.





Her initial descent down the steps was not graceful.

It was chaotic, i.e. "fun." 



She quickly improved on the stairs.


I think she likes it here.



3.5 miles



No comments: