Saturday, February 26, 2022

A very doggie day

Saturday morning I took Bonnie, Zippy, and River over to Green Dogs for some vetting. Bonnie surprised us by already having a microchip and her vaccines were current. She just got a dose of wormer. Zippy was also already microchipped but she got her rabies and parvo/distemper vaccines, and a dose of wormer. River just had his rabies vaccines updated, about a month ahead of schedule. 

In the afternoon, Maddie (formerly Allie) came by for a run in the pasture. I took the other dogs out as well, except Zippy. Zippy had just been spayed two days ago and I knew the level of play out there would far exceed the recommended level of activity for her. Maddie was ready to play and with Zippy not being there, and Della not being cooperative, she and River went at it for a while. I had to extract Della from the scene because Maddie tried to play with her while she was on her back rolling in the grass and the two of them got into a fight. Then I brought over Axel and Bonnie who had been in Daneland. It was Bonnie's first time in the pasture, first time meeting Max, River, and Della, and she really wasn't prepared for Maddie's size and energy. Axel, however, makes up for what he lacks in size with more than enough energy. Before long he and Maddie were running around and eventually Bonnie joined in. 

Later in the afternoon I took Zippy for a walk up at Pleasant Grove, just the two of us, just two miles. She's easily controlled with the gentle leader and it really helps with her tendency to be reactive (barky) with everyone we see. I need to take her for a walk on the downtown mall and to some breweries - maybe tomorrow.

Serena is beginning to use that rear right leg and she's been carrying off the ground for the past several weeks. My elation at this development is tempered by the fact that she isn't eating well. I think her avoidance of food is because I've been hiding pills in it, without much success. Serena is adverse to taking pills. "Adverse" is an understatement. It seems like a phobia with her, not exactly phagophobia (fear of swallowing), it's more pharmacophobia (fear of taking medication). I've given up because I just get so frustrated and it's causing her to avoid her food because she suspects me of putting something in it. The one thing I've tasked Clay with doing now is giving Serena her pills, putting them down her throat and holding her mouth closed until she swallows. Giving her food untainted with pills or even any supplements, she finally ate all her dinner this evening. 

I was a pain in the ass as a kid refusing pills as well. I remember that they had to give me liquid medication for beyond the normal age when children were expected to swallow pills. I feel my mother's pain and frustration. I don't think I ever apologized to her for this, but I should have. 


Bonnie has a sweet face.

Zippy is a fine looking shepherd. Even she shadow is pretty.































No comments: